Which Apple Cider Vinegar?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by candice_111, Sep 28, 2011.

1. candice_111

candice_111 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi,

I have been reading about the benefits of ACV- how do I know which brand/type to buy? Is there anything to look out for with regards to content? There are so many types available that i'm not sure where to start!

Thankyou in advance [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I would think that any brand that you would use for you family would be fine! [​IMG]

3. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    What are the benefits and how is it used?

4. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:I give my chickens what I use, Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. I get mine at the health food store but it may be other places.

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I have not used it for my girls yet because we have a metal waterer (you can only use it in a plastic waterer due to high acidity) but I've read that you put 1 tbls acv to 1 gallon water to help maintain your flocks health (thinking I may switch to plastic soon). tons of benefits for animals AND humans. My DH and I buy Braggs brand and make salad dressing. remember though, you need to purchase the real deal in order to get benefits. look for the word "mother" on the label. We buy ours at stop & shop (may have to look in health food isle) Think I'll start putting a tbls in my tea!

Grabbed this from another thread explaining the benefits of acv "mother":

"Mother of vinegar, often tenderly called simply “mother”, is a slimy gelatinous material that is found in unpasteurized vinegar. In general it is the growth of acetic bacteria which are responsible for turning alcohol into vinegar. The acetic bacteria which are the heart of the mother of vinegar are usually filtered and killed by pasteurization in most non-organic vinegars. However, the mother of vinegar when present in the final product, especially that in cider vinegar, has countless health benefits.

As a preventative tonic, consuming mother of vinegar strengthens many body systems and improves the immune system. Specifically, mother of vinegar helps circulation by thinning the blood and combating bad cholesterol, removing mineral deposits that are responsible for arthritis and bursitis and helping the body achieve homeostasis with greater ease.

When taken on a daily basis, mother of vinegar serves as an antibacterial and antifungal agent. It can also be use topically to control fungus or to clean a wound. Mother of vinegar applied to the skin can relieve itching, muscle pain, and certain skin rashes.

Mother of vinegar can also help you to lose weight. It is said to help to reduce the excess fat in cells, decreasing cellulite and promoting weight loss. As a supplement to a healthy diet and exercise, mother of vinegar will help shed pounds while actively supplying your body with additional benefits. About two spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar that contains mother of vinegar should be taken daily. It is best to dilute it in a large glass of water mixed with honey to lessen the harsh taste of vinegar."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  6. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:Excellent post!

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Would you kindly explain why the Organic ACV cannot be used it a galvanized waterer? When I was a young boy daddy used it in his shot to wash the oil off the galvanized gutter for painting. It was a cleaner and that was all. I missed something.

Thanks

8. top of the hill

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:Perhaps someone can answer this a little better than I, but from what I understand, the acidity slowly eats away at the metal and taints the water with all sorts of bad stuff. I'm guessing the difference would be that your letting the waterer sit as apposed to a quick washing of the gutters. I know that in plastic waterers it keeps the slime from building up.

hope that helped??

9. top of the hill

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:Excellent post!

Thanks City Chicken Lady! Glad to know we both use Braggs! Good stuff!

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The acidity of the vinegar will "eat" the galvanization of the waterer and you don't want your birds drinking it.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by