Which are better all around? Buff Orphington's vs. Rhode Osland Reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkChickens, Dec 4, 2010.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I'm wanting opinions and also facts for Rhode Island Reds vs. Buff Orphingtons. I am wanting one breed only. Both of mine lay great but my buffs go broody and it is really annoying! Let me know.

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I think you answered your own question. RIRs are the best brown egg layers you can get. PLUS, they don't ever, if seldom, go broody. Broody = no eggs RIR = lots of eggs.

Jen

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Agreed! We had a beautiful buff, but she was super timid and went broody all the time (making egg collection a pain for my wife) so we gave her up.

4. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Haha I guess I did, how many eggs do you get per week per hen from yours?

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    My buffs lay an average of 4 to 5 eggs/week. My RIR (only one) lays 5 to 6/week. All are super friendly and love to be held and petted.

6. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    My 8 reds are awesome! I'm thinking of trading most of my buffs for Production RIR's. Or sell and then buy

7. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:Right now I'm getting zero from my BO, and 1 a day from my RIRs. I only have two RIRs, but I also am getting from my White Rock, and my Americauna. The restr of the girls (11) are not laying. Some are going on 5 yrs old, some four, some tow, and then the ones that are laying were just hatched this spring.
    Oh, I take that back, my Black Cochin is laying once in a while, and she's going on 5. I think the reason she's still laying is because she was broody all the time.

Jen

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have RIR's (32 of them) and I have not had an egg since the end of September so I'm putting eggs in the bator on the 11th. They will be Buff's I can't wait but I'm going to keep my Reds and see if they start laying.

So I'll have to let you know next year.

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I hate RIR. They are aggressive unlike any other breed I've had. I will never own one again.

I didn't like my Orp either, but it was a roo and we all know how that goes. I would personally take personality and non-aggressiveness over lots of eggs any day.

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Will never own an orp again for reasons I'm tired of saying.

RIR!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by