WHICH ARE BETTER FOR EGGS RIR OR NH

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK Im trying to decide on these for egg production and good personality any ideas anyone??????

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't have any anymore, but I always liked my NH's.

3. Maddhatter

Maddhatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    RIR's rock.[​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Gotta love those RIR's [​IMG]

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    According to everything I've read, RIR's are still the best brown egg layers. However NHR are supposed to be a little more mellow.

6. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    I've had both, didn't care for either really, but even though everyone says NH are more mellow, ours sure weren't. The RIRs liked to peck when we collected the eggs, and so did the NHs. They all went down the road pretty quick. Both laid really well though I think the RIRs laid slightly more and the NHs increased in size at a quicker rate (shorter pullet egg time frame). Ours came from McMurray if that helps.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my little RIR, but my son's NH reds are more mellow. My RIR lays 6 eggs a week. She's a little work horse.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thanks Everybody-maybe I will get afew of each:) I know those dark RIRs are just beautiful but if they are mean they will be going "down the road" real quick also

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Can't go wrong with production reds. Lay like crazy. Second to the grand leghorn in my book.

10. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I think your idea of getting a few of both is a good one...That's what I did too! [​IMG]

I have been very happy with that. I like both of them but my NH are friendlier than the RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by