which are better for pets: muscovy or pekin?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 22, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i'm getting 2 ducklings that are a day old for pets. are muscovy's or pekins better for pets?

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Muscovys: Bigger, Lay less, VERY broody, dont quack but hiss, they can fly really well, the males can sometimes be aggresive, and come in MANY colors and patterns.
    Pekins: Smaller than Muscovys, Lay round 300 eggs a year , females are quite loud, can fly - but only for about 10 ft. and they only come in white.

It really just depends on your preference.
    I personally would pick muscovys because they act like big puppy dogs, they are very layed back. (Pekins can too but you can only do it with one though, to make it people friendly)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  3. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    They're going to be indoor and outdoor pets and companions, it seems more people have pekins for that. It's also easy to find pekin ducklings for sale. So I should only get 1 to make it a pet? I've heard 2 are better so they don't get lonely and depressed when you're not around

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Yes, if you are going to make them indoor pets then 1 would be OK but if you are getting 2 then it should be fine.

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Does the sex matter? Are female pekins better than males?

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Outdoor ducks DEFINITELY 2 or more . It is NOT KIND to keep a lone duck of any species/breed.
    If you want quiet ,friendly ducks as you say then muscovies are definitely the way to go as they are "like puppy dogs" and you don't need to worry about them not bonding to you b/c if you feed them treats they will think the sun rises and sets on your head...at least ours did years ago when we had them. Ours didn't even mind being snuggled .Most ducks aren't big fans of the cuddle since it restrains them and they don't usually care for that at all...they are prey animals after all.......Scovies are also quiet.They are "quackless "ducks.

7. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    if you are going for nice freindly pets males are all most allways better [​IMG]

8. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    i say pekins are way WAY better house pets [​IMG]

9. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    This is so hard![​IMG] i've had many people say muscovy's are frindlier and also that males (muscovy or pekin) get mean when they grow up. I'm getting 2 and want both to be the same sex so they don't breed. Which one do I get! And do I get 2 males or 2 females? Lol

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    mr.mc. :

if you are going for nice freindly pets males are all most allways better [​IMG]

I disagree.
    My drakes are very afraid of me for some reason. The females have no problem with me holding them or petting them, but the drakes they hate it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by