Which Are Hens, Which Are Roosters??

DuckyLou

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
East Texas
Hi! Does anyone want to play the "Guess the Gender" game?? I think I know maybe which is which, but thought I would ask
some experts and I don't want to say to sway anyone's opinion!

Contestant #1: 6 week old production red

Contestant #2: 6 week production red

Contestant #3; 6 week production red

Contestant #4: Silkie (not sure of age, and I have read that they are really hard to tell gender until they get older, so...)

Contestant #5: My Favorite Silkie!
Contestant #6: 5 week FBCM

Contestant #7: 5 week FBCM
Contestant #8: 5 week FBCM

The first one looks like a male just because he is already getting a big comb and his wattles are pretty big for his age, they're also turning red already. I would say 2,3 and 7 are pullets and I have no idea with the others. Good luck
smile.png

I thought 1 and 6 were roos! Now I have to decide if I want a FBCM roo or a Production red roo???? I only want 1 roo. Any thoughts on which breed I should keep?

Also Ramerizframing, my silkies are suppose to be purebreed, I bought them from a silkie breeder. What makes you say they are mixes?

I have to agree with ramirezframing that your two chicks are silkie mixes. The feathering just doesn't look right. #5 definitely needs more feathering on the legs. They are very cute and you will enjoy them just the same.

I have to agree with ramirezframing that your two chicks are silkie mixes. The feathering just doesn't look right. #5 definitely needs more feathering on the legs. They are very cute and you will enjoy them just the same.

Hmmm very interesting! The people I bought them from say they keep all their breeds seperate and claim them to be pure breed. I love them very much anyway... but they should not be selling them as pure breed if they are not. These are the sweetest chicks I have ever had, so I don't really care, I'm not a breeder or a show girl, so no big deal. Just curious as to why they did not look pure breed. I am new to silkies, this is my first time owning them. I won't be purchasing from these people anymore anyway... these silkies were full of lice when I bought them, and I did not know it until they passed them on to everyone else.
hmm.png

So any thoughts on which Roo I should keep?

I agree they are silkie mixies - they look like they will mostly have regular feathering, with maybe a little bit of a crest. If you look on the silkie thread, you will see lots of examples of pure silkie chicks of that age and you'll be able to see the difference. If I were sold pure and instead got a mix, I'd be going back to that seller and requesting a partial refund, since you really didn't get what you paid for.

As for roo choice, if it were me and I had to decide immediately, I'd go for the FCBM because Production Reds are a dime a dozen where FCBM are not available just everywhere. Also, I like the dark eggs and he will produce hens who will lay a darker egg. However I would really prefer to wait until they are both older and decide based on their rooish qualities. Not all roos are created equal and if the FCBM is a jerk who doesn't take good care of his hens, while the PR roo is doing his job diligently, that would be an easy choice. Its easy enough to eat whichever you don't keep at that point.

Back
Top Bottom