1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which are more friendly, males or females

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by james408, Oct 30, 2010.

1. james408

james408 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    Hi, I was wondering which were more friendly (to humans), male or female ducks... thanks!

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    In my opinion, it really does not make that much difference. If I had to chose, I would probably say females as drakes can sometimes be a little aggressive in protecting their flocks. I have several drakes though that are real sweethearts. I think overall the difference is rather minor.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

My drake is a charmer. He is also a beggar. He once tried to snap at me and I smacked him on his bill. He never did that again. Well it was more of a tapping, but he got the message. That was when we still had 4 more boys and the competition was getting to his head. The only thing he still love to do is nibble on my feet. He does that when I pay to much attention to the girls.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Louie, the drake in my Cayuga pair, is very friendly. Thelma, not so much. She isn't aggressive, she's shy.

Louie loves me LOTS. I have duck hickies on my forearms to explain to people at work, sometimes. But that's only sometimes; his billing gets a bit insistent. They both run to greet me, but Thelma hangs back slightly. Both eat out of my hands. Louie likes to follow me around, AHEAD of me. This creates problems when he waddles directly ahead of my feet... I'm always stepping around him. He also tells me ducky things on our walks.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Of the 6 or so ducks I've had in my life (I know, not many [​IMG]) - The drakes were friendlier. Especially compared to our Rouen girl. Wow was she noisy, offensive, and obnoxious.

6. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Ive got bantam mallards, and i find my drakes are friendlier than my hens. They love people and just want to be around you.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have all females and 2 drakes. The women are VERY loud...my Runners more so than my Pekins. When the runners start there is NO stopping them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by