Which are more hot-tempered: Mustangs or Arabians?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Mar 3, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Just wondering, which breed is more hot tempered?

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Hot tempered? It all depends on the individual. Arabians are a little high strung. Are you talking about WILD mustangs? Then, yes. Those are hot tempered.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Totally goes by the individual. I'm not into breed steriotypes.

Why do you ask?

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I adopeted a Mustang years ago and he wasnt hot tempered at all he was the biggest love I have ever had cept for my Appy. My Arabian mare has a tendency to get a little high strung at times, but she dont really have a temper at all unless provoked. Basically she is very passive. I miss my Mustang as he was a great guard horses and love my boys when they were little. I think it all stems back to how they were raised as to the temper part.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I agree with it depending on the individual horse. I've had 2 Arabians. 1 as sweet as could be and you could never ask for a better horse, the other was hot tempered and high strung

6. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Well, I have two mustangs (adopted from the BLM) and a 1/2 Appaloosa/1/2 Arabian. To my mind, the mustangs have never been "hot tempered." They were skittish when I first got them, but settled down really quickly. The Arab X is more moody than my mustangs (but that could be his age - he's 22). He's a very solid trail horse - doesn't spook at anything. My mustangs aren't skittish, either. I board a friend's Morgan, and he is the flightiest thing I've ever seen - will spook at a cloud floating by. I think it really depends on the individual animal. I've seen some very "hot" arabs, but I've also seen some that are just wonderful. That said, my mustangs are definitely my favorite. They are very friendly, come when I call, follow me like dogs, and love to be petted and give kisses. But that's just my feeling. You really need to look at each individual horse, figure out what it is you want him for, and see how he responds to you.
    Liz

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Generally Arabs, but I also think it's up to the horse. I will say though that I've had awful luck with Appys.

8. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I have one Arabian, who is 28. He is awesome, but asks more wild then a 2 yr old QH. He is usually very sweet, but is quite mean when you go to give him his grain. Once, my mom walked by him when he was eating hay, and he bit her super hard in the stomach! She screamed and cryed. He is a monster sometimes. But usually is a good boy. Never had a mustang. But appys can be rather evil, and our paint is pretty bad too. Paso Finos are great though.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    There is a big difference between high-strung and hot tempered. High strung can mean a lot of energy, easily spooked, nervous or just impatient. When you talk about temperment you are looking at a characteristic of the horse. Does it get angry? Does it try to bite you? I've raised and shown Arabs, Mustangs, Quarter horses, and a few others. I don't think temperement is an inherent trait, it's a product of the early treatment of the horse.
    Some people are more passionate than others, horses and animals are the same, it depends on the animal or person.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    "Hot tempered" meaning what? Sensitive? Inclined to snort prance and cavort? Inclined to buck you off if they don't like what you're doing? Inclined to kick your head off if they don't like what you're doing? Inclined to attack you from the other side of the pasture when you're doing nothing wrong? Inclined to burst into flames? [​IMG]

Many of these traits are bad under some circumstances but desirable in others (or anyhow the underlying personality traits that cause those behaviors are).

Plus, like others, I see no point at all in trying to draw breed generalizations about these things anyhow... it just depends on what the individual horse that you are dealing with (or considering buying, or whatever) is like.

The only generalization I would feel even remotely comfortable making in this situation is that many (not all) Arabs are going to be more inclined to raise their heads, pr ick their ears and snort loudly at Interesting New Things, moreso than your average mustangs who will be more inclined to glance at it, classify it as threat or non-threat, and if it's non-threat then just stand there ignoring or watching it. (Not to say arabs are *spookier*, just that many like to pr ick their ears and snort. Spooky is a different thing). And that may not be what you were askinga bout anyhow [​IMG]

(edited because it turns out that pr ick, without the space, gets turned into "jerk" by the auto-censor, LMAO)

JMHO,

Pat

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by