Which are the best breeds for large brown eggs and lots of them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snaffle, Jan 17, 2015.

1. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I have a few red stars that are great layers, but I have seen the eggs at a farm where I buy milk and often think her eggs are larger than mine.

Is there a size difference depending on where the red stars /sex link chicks come from?

Is there another breed that has excellent production of extra large brown eggs?

2. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    If you want lots of brown eggs Rhode Island Reds are a good choice. But they can sometimes be very aggressive towards other chicken and even people. If you want very large eggs though I think Delawares are the best for that. They lay an average amount of eggs (4-5 a week) and are more friendly than Rhode Island Reds. There have been reports of egg eating Delawares bought at My Pet Chicken Hatchery so I wouldn't buy any from there.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Chicks of the same breed sometimes (but not often) very in size depending on place where they were bought.

4. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I have redstars also and the eggs are huge. I even get them from time to time over 2.75 ounces, which are considered super Jumbo I guess. They are always in the 2.25 range, which are a really nice size. Mine came from Mcmurray hatchery.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are your birds? When Pullets start laying it can take a few months for the eggs to reach size.

My red sex links have always been my big egg layers, often so large I can't close the carton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by