1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Australorp/Cochin should I show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by australorp_breeder, Jan 7, 2010.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I'm going to be entering a poultry show next weekend and I've been debating on two of my Australorps which one I should show. I have one that meets the standard size, but her tail feathers aren't completely full at the tips. The other Australorp has feathers that look really nice but her body frame looks smaller than the average Australorp. I think the judges would care more about size, don't you think?

I'm also debating on two of my Blue Cochins. One is bigger in size, but the other has a bigger comb. Which one do you think I should enter?

I believe there's a book that they use when judging that shows all the sizes and characteristics of each chicken breed. Someone on BYC told me where I could get one but sorry, I forgot. Any other tips on preparing my birds will be most helpful! I've going to wash them with Blue Ribbon Show Shampoo and scrub their feet with a soft toothbrush about three days before I take them, and put a little vaseline on their comb, waddles, legs, and feet.

This will be my biggest show yet! Last year they had 999 birds there, and are expecting more this year! Of course it's not all chickens, they're having ducks, turkeys, geese, etc there too. I've only ever showed chickens three times in the county fair, and they only had like 35 chickens there. This will also be my first time showing as a senior instead of a junior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by