Which auto door is better?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gymbeau, Jan 28, 2011.

1. gymbeau

gymbeau Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    West Alabama
    Which door opener would you consider preferable?
    I have found 3 so far.....
    What are the pros and cons to each type?

2. papschmitty

papschmitty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm wondering the same thing!

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    It really depends on your application. I use the AD20, they advertise here. It is not all that expensive, easy to install and reliable.

4. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    [​IMG] Well, it all depends on your needs I suppose. I did look around last year at ALL the options. DH wouldn't support it if I hadn't. [​IMG] I found a lot of different types, as it looks like you have too. I already had a slide up door and a frame. All I needed was the motor and timer. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on stuff I didn't need.

The motor I decided on was the Add-A-Motor AD20. It had good reviews and seemed sturdy. PLUS it was designed specifically for coops. [​IMG]

I found the best price at Discount Home Automation . I still had some questions, so I had to email them as there is no phone number, but they were quick to reply. I bought it and within a couple days it arrived. DH installed it on a Saturday morning... in NO time at all! I was surprised.

We've had it installed for 9 months or so. Never had an issue with it. [​IMG]

I highly recommend this motor, and this website company. They now have it cheaper than when I bought it. They also have a solar kit that looks real tempting. [​IMG] (I just need to justify it with DH!)

Anyhow, hope it all works out. This was certainly the most exciting gift to my girls since the new coop. [​IMG]

E/

5. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    The addamotor is cheaper than the Foys, which I have, by about $80 if you get their battery solar charger timer pack, which together with the door is $160. The complete Foys set up is about $240, because you have to buy the door to get their warranty. The door is nice though, and works well with their unit. The Foys is powered by double AA batteries and I haven't had to change them in about 6 months, so its an easy unit to maintain. I would imagine you would have to replace the 12 volt battery every couple of years for the addamotor, which would be additional cost. The photocell on the Foys works well and you don't have to change a timer with the seasons. Someone mentioned their addamotor broke after a few months because their door was 6 lbs, not the four or less suggested by the company.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I also have this one. No more opening & closing the pop door. My new coop is even better its three sided no pop door.

7. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We purchased our Automatic Door from a Vet in Maryland. It works perfect and he is a wonderful person always available.

8. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have the Poultry Butler installed and once I got the light sensor located in the right place, it has been perfect.

9. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    We have the Auto door from Foy's with their door and light sensor. Simply the best investment we made to our coop.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have the door by Foy's, too, and use the kith sensor. I don't have power out to the coop, so the battery operation is a must. 4AA batteries, found anywhere. Easy peasy. I intend to buy a second one for my yet-to-be constructed, newest big coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by