which automatic coop door opener?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by utdlee, Feb 27, 2015.

1. utdlee

utdlee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    I am thinking about buying an automatic coop door opener. Can anyone recommend the best value for money opener to buy in the UK? Or ones too avoid? They don't come cheap so don't want to waste my money. Also is it worth getting one with both timer & light sensor or is just the light sensor?

2. SunnyOne

SunnyOne New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    I installed a Poultry Butler on the advice of an article in 'Backyard Poultry' that compared the relative merits of several. I love it! It comes with a cord to plug into electricity (AC), but it was easy to convert to a small battery that we recharge with a small solar panel on the coop roof. It came with a photoeye that allows automatic opening and closing based on sunlight, but also included a timer so you can preset times if you prefer. It has worked flawlessly for about 6 months now. I love not having to run out twice a day to open or close the door. You can order it online, so it's easy to place an order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by