Which Bantam for....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mikeeeeeeeeee, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Egg production and also size of eggs?
    I love the old english game bantams, but I'm not sure about eggs with them.

I'm about 2 weeks away from buying birds. ( Chicken auction - lots of variety )

Getting my coop ready.

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Bantam rocks, RIRs, and leghorns i've heard are good layers. My bantam barred rocks lay great, but of course being bantams and all, they're eggs aren't going to be nearly as big as a standard birds!

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Bantams are not production birds, and you won't really find any that lay a decent sized egg. You'd be better off with standards [​IMG]

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    If you want small eggs, quail are supposed to give the best feed conversion ratio. Yes, some of us do want the small eggs.

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    http://www.kippengrabbelton.be/engels/

go
    to breed info in the third section click on

this will give information on each breed & grams their eggs weigh

when you click on breed (scroll down under large fowl info for bantam info for breed)

Joanne

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Orpingtoms and Salmon Favorelles and brahmas for size of egg, second year much bigger than first: then RIR, Barred Rock, and leghorns: Leghorns and Salmons Favorelles lay through the winter Not sure about RIRs or Barred Rocks;

Old English are always nice to have a few of those around, make great mothers and sprightly little birds.

7. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Quote:I have a local breeder that sells trios and matched pairs of Ginger Reds at the local auction.
    I'm going to get a trio of those, but after these replies, I will probably get some Barred Rocks to hang ot with them.

Thanks guys:D

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Have fun with them!!! [​IMG]

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have no clue about production but the Dutch Banty hatching eggs I got from a BYC member were very decently sized.

10. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I once had an OEG bantam that laid 5 eggs a week! but that isn't usually true for OE's! she laid "jelly beans"!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by