Which bantam should i get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lilly6849, Feb 11, 2012.

1. lilly6849

lilly6849 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    I want to get a bantam but Im not sure what to get. Im looking for a beautiful breed thats docile,clean legged,and easy to train.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A bantam - as in just one chicken? If that is the case, get a female as a solitary rooster may become aggressive. Silkies, faverolles, rocks, are all verey mellow breeds. Understand also that chickens are flock animals and are much happier when they have flockmates.

3. DanielHoover

DanielHoover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Rhode Island Red bantams would be a good choice. They are healthy calm
    and lay lots of eggs.

4. lilly6849

Jan 18, 2012
    not a bantam as in just one chicken a bantam as in a small chicken

5. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    silkies have feather legs (you asked for clean legged, but someone recommend them anyways, and they are great birds) and are so docile that they should always have some other silkies to form a little sub flock within the larger flock. I do that for any special-feathered or super docile breed, but it's very important with silkies. No chicken should ever be without flock mates. I love the Japanese bantams, my neighbor has one and she is so sweet! All of my banties are feather legged except my old english game bantam roo who is aggressive- it's lucky he's so small. I've never had a hen, though. If you like blue eggs and can locate a breeder, bantam Ameraucana are lovely. More commonly avaliable are bantam easter eggers. Hatcheries/feed stores sell these as (bantam) Ameraucanas, Americanas, Arucanas, Arucana/ameraucanas, rainbow layers, and easter eggers. they can have any coloring and lay blue, turquoise, mint green, sage green, olive green, pink eggs...each hen will lay one color, and one color only in her life time. the fun of these birds is you never know what you will get, as they are ameraucana crosses. I've always wanted a little Plymouth rock bantie, they are adorable. Choices, choices, choices...have fun!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. lilly6849

Jan 18, 2012
    silkies are just glorified fluffballs

7. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    lol I love my silkies. Everybody on our farm does, even the builder and the horse trainer!!!

8. lilly6849

Jan 18, 2012
    Yea well I dont want a chicken that needs 2 hours of grooming

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I love my little Belgian d'Anvers bantams. I just have one pair, so I'm not an expert on them, but both the rooster and hen are tame, docile, cute as can be and fun to handle. They will both go to sleep if you pet and hold them long enough. My little boy and his friend made a video of the rooster after they put him to sleep. They layed him in the nest on his back with his feet sticking up. He just stayed there. [​IMG]

ETA: They are also beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I would recommend sebrights, they are small, normally friendly, take care of themselves quite well, are beautiful, and clean legged.
    They are not good for egg laying though.
    This is my opinion. Obviously everyone is going to have different opinions on different breeds.
    But in my experience, i really liked them.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by