Which bantam?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Captain Carrot, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    hello, I'm planning on adding a trio or quintet of bantams to my rapidly expanding flock. Mainly I want a friendly bird (got two kids) that will go broody from time to time, not mind too much being confined to a run as I've lost bantams to chicken hawks, and give me a few eggs too.

I'm already getting some Welsumer bantams but also thinking about:

Silkies, In two minds about them because they're everywhere.

Hamburg

and

Owl Beards/Eulenbart Hühner, Not sure what they're called in english

Anyone had any experience with these breeds and could help me decide

Thanks

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Are you in the US? Silkies will get nabbed by hawks and the cold weather if you don't provide a good run & coop for them. Hamburgs are fun and pretty, but very Flightly and hard to handle...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    I luv my bantams and have an assortment. But these 2 are my favorites. They are Buff Cochins I think. The roo is very friendly (only roo I have) and the hen is a sweetheart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to try to get chicks from them in the spring

4. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    He looks lighter than her in those pics but they are the same color

5. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I'd suggest Cochins. They are the sweetest birds we have. They will jump up in our laps when we are sitting outside. Planning on getting more this Spring.

6. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:I'm in Austria. I'm building coops with runs at the moment, we get minus 20 sometimes in winter so the coops are going to be insulated. The breeds I mentioned are some of the breeds available from my local breeder. I was tempted by her Sebrights but she said they're difficult to breed. All the breeds I mentioned where very friendly towards me when i visited the breeder, I would like to have all of them, lol.

7. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Cool! [​IMG] Over here it's about 15-20 degrees. We just got a foot and a half of fresh snow, lol! Yes, Sebrights are a bit difficult to breed. They are dainty little birds and tend to perish easily, If I were you I'd look for something that is pretty hardy and will last a long time [​IMG] Owlbeards are probably your safest bet, just watch out and make sure the combs don't get frostbitten...

8. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I used to live in Berchtesgaden, Germany and worked in Salzburg, Austria .... since you live in Austria...why not an Austrian breed...the "Sulmtaler:?....comes in Bantam size and Large fowl....beautiful birds....

9. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:I mean minus 20 Celsius which is about -4. My hens and cockerels haven't had any problems with their combs so far. Do you have any experience on the Owlbeards?

10. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:I mean minus 20 Celsius which is about -4. My hens and cockerels haven't had any problems with their combs so far. Do you have any experience on the Owlbeards?

Hmm... that depends. I've had experience with The Owlbeard's close relative, the Brabanter. Brabanters are fun birds with fun personalities [​IMG] To my knowledge we have no Owlbeards in the US. But from what I've read, they sound like Great birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by