1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Bator and Where?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countyroad1330, Dec 30, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I've always used my granmother's 'antique' incubator, and I'm thinking I should get my own now. So I was wondering, which incubator should I buy? And where can I find it? I want one that will hold at least a dozen standard size chicken eggs.

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i made mine works great and was easy to do and it didnt cost hardly anything,I guess it would hold 30 eggs but i only put 25 in it last time
    and as many problems as i hear people have outta their $100 bators I wouldnt want a factory job

3. ajcress

ajcress Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    How did you make your bator. I was going to order a 1588 bator from cutlers supply. a few people seem to like theirs but there are a few others that I saw. If there is some way you could share your secret recipe with me, I might build my own!!

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I just got my 1588 from Cutlers and love it...

But if you want to make your own do a search (from the blue line above) and find posts that talk about making them from bread boxes, ice chests, and old refrigerators etc . Good luck. Suz

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Get any type of Hova, they all work good. But i would say get the turner it is sooo nice! Strombergs has the best prices that i could find and they include shipping in thier prices.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  6. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    look for the miss prissy post,thats what I used then came up with some of my own modifacations,I used 11/2 in. insulation instead of a styrofoam cooler so i could make my bator bigger,if ya need help just holler,and when you are ready for eggs and hatching pick speckledhens brain she has done enough hatching shes got it down pat

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Skeeter,

What are you using for a thermostat? I'm using the hot-water one, and am not overly happy with it. Seems to let temps fluctuate quite a bit before it comes on.

Meghan

8. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    im using the water heater thermostat and my temps in the wiggler dont flucuate more than one degree or so I do have a fan so that helps regulate the temp
    if you have lots of empty airspace in your bator try putting in some bottles of water, make sure they are up to temp first so not to cool the temp in the bator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by