which beeds make best pets for children? (other than silkies)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dftkarin, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I am splitting an order of chicks with a neighbor and they are all with me at the moment (under heat, 1 week old). I have:

1 australorp
    1 silver laced wyandotte
    1 gold laced wyandotte
    4 barred plymouth rocks

I am going to keep 3 (or maybe 4) and I am hoping to have gentle, friendly, hearty, and hopefully productive chickens that will be fun pets for my child. I chose the australorp because they are supposed to be so gentle and docile (and productive) and I love the way the laced wyandottes look and they are supposed to be winter-hearty. Does anyone have any suggestions about which 3 of these might make the very best pets for a shy/lonely animal-loving kid?

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I would say the barred rocks. We have six and even though they are only 8 weeks old they love us. They will come over to the kids in the yard and just hang out. My friend has barred rocks that are full grown and they are friendly as well.
    I don't have experience with the other breeds so I can't say anything about them.

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    The australorp and barred rocks are good. The Wyandottes I do not know, but I have been told they can varry in temperament. If you could get a cochin, that would be a great pet. We have 2, if they laid better I would have all cochins [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    The barred rocks are nice and cold hardy too. I myself would take one of each, i like a little of everything! Its up to you, they are all ok.

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

My barred rocks are the friendliest. And adore human interaction. Are you sure you have to choose? [​IMG] What a tough choice.

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    My cochins love everybody and love attention! My Jersey's follow me around but don't like to be picked up.

Jacie

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I just tried to move a BLRW from her nest and got pecked. I've found that my Australorps and much guieter and gentler. Picking them up has never been a problem.

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Since you cant choose an Orpington I would go with the Black Australorp. [​IMG]

My Buff Orp Audrey runs over to be picked up when I open the brooder. And she is always closely followed by my Australorp Natalie. My husbands Partridge Rock isnt the friendliest But she is the loudest and most vocal of the group.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those Wyandottes are beautiful.

I have 7 Barred Rock and so far they are good.

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I would go for the barred rocks and/or australops. I ordered the SL Wyandottes this year because I think they are so pretty, but after having them, I am going to sell them. They are definetly my least favorite. They are not very friendly at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by