Which beekeeping kit looks the best? Which would you recommend???

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
The last one is really just for looks, To get the honey out you need to strain and press it. The other two are pretty comparable, i would look for a Bee class in your area to attend. Either of the top to look good. FYI don't buy used equipment, that's an easy way to transmit diseases and mites.

I think it partly depends on how you are looking to keep your bees and what type of climate you live in. My hive is simply a large hive body with strips of foundation put in the top of the frames to give the bees a guide as to where to put their comb. I don't use full foundation and never plastic foundation. I don't have an inner cover and have never used a feeder. I like the first link you posted as it is the most simple. The tools I have needed are a large hive body, a medium super, 10 frames for each of those with 1.5in strips of foundation in each frame, a smoker, a hive tool, gloves, a hat and veil, and a frame lifter. I do have my hive sitting on a water heater stand to keep it up off the ground.

If you are looking to sell honey at some point, I would go with a langstroth rather than a top bar simply because I believe it is easier to extract honey from a langstroth. I would rather have a 10-frame body than an 8 simply because it is easier for me to get supers for a 10-frame. My local supplier doesn't make 8-frame boxes.

I have mostly used Dadant when I need to order things online but I am lucky to have a supplier nearby so I rarely need to order online. I have only had my bees for about a year so I am a novice, but I love having them around!

A picture of my hive with a frame lifted up (doesn't show the super that is on top):

DSCN1877.jpg

Smoking under the lid of the super as I started an inspection:

DSCN1854.jpg

Go with a 8 frame all medium super kit...you wont be sorry. I run both all medium hives and deep hives supered with meds and shallows. But you can't beat the interchangeability of using all the same frame size. I can move honey frames down into the brood nest with ease.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom