Which, BEI, Mini Silver Appleyard, or Australian Spotted?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eco2pia, Aug 16, 2010.

1. eco2pia

eco2pia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I was wondering for those of you who have had them, what the personalities of these three breeds are.

I am aware that there is controversy over the name Mini Silver Appleyard, the ones I would be getting are from Holderread's. Or I could go with Austrailian Spotteds, also from Holderread, or Black East Indias from Ideal.

I need slug eating ducks, who are small. I want good foragers who are friendly, calm, and "quieter". I am basically looking for pets, so I am not concerned about show quality, just want some hungry, healthy, happy ducks. They don't have to cuddle with me, just be easy to manuver in and out of their night pen, and be fairly contented to just be ducks.

Insight? Experiences? Tell me your stories!

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I have kept all three breeds. I love both the Mini Appleyards and the Australian Spotteds. Both are great breeds- calm, usually friendly, excellent foragers, and fairly quiet. I think, in general, my Mini Appleyards have always been slightly more friendly than the Aussie Spots, but not that much difference really. The Aussie Spots have the added fun factor of coming in 3 different color varieties that can all be bred together. As far as being able to move in at night, there is not much way to answer that really. It all depends on the birds, how consistent you are with their training, and how you set them up. You will probably want to clip their wings as well if their day pen is uncovered. I, personally, don't keep my bantam ducks in day pens for numerous reasons (mostly predators, both land and flying). Ours are always in covered pens.

I would just go with whichever breed appeals to you the most or maybe even try some of both. If you raise them in a fairly small group, the differences in personality would be negligible. They are all awesome birds. I don't raise BEI any more, but lots of people here have them and love them as well (mine were very flighty). Good luck with whatever you decide. I had ducks for a number of years before adding the bantams and now can't imagine ever not having them. [​IMG]

3. eco2pia

eco2pia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I planned to keep a pair. I have to buy more than a pair to ship them, of course, so I planned to sell off the extra on craig's list after they start to feather out and I am sure of which I want.

The BEI's are barely my favorite for looks, with the mini Appleyards a very close second. I was leaning to the BEI's cause the price is so much cheaper from Ideal. I'm sure you get what you pay for, looks-wise, but I really just want a stomach with legs, so I was willing to go with the bargains...

On the other hand, I hear the Appleyards will happily hatch their own eggs, and ducklings would be fun and profitable (ok, so maybe I could cover the cost of a few bags of feed, no illusions). I definately would have to keep their wings clipped, but we are right in the middle of town with a six foot fence, during the day the neighborhood cats are the only concern, and we have a dog so they mostly stay away.

Night, of course they have to be locked in. The raccoons and much bolder cats would have them snarfed in a heartbeat.

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    If you are wanting to be able to sell a few, you can't go wrong with the Mini Appleyards. They will go broody and their eggs/ducklings are always in demand. It is one breed that I literally always have twice the number of customers as birds available. I could never possibly fill all the orders that I get for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by