Which Birchen Cochin rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickNjake, May 10, 2009.

1. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    should I keep?

#1- this one was my initial pick but I'm not sure. he has the best coloring and probably the best cushion, but his comb is a mess. (he stands the same as the other, he was trying to be tall in the picture)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#2- this one's color isn't quite as good, his cushion is good, and his comb is near perfect (I think)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I really like them [​IMG] If I had my way I'd keep both, but sadly, they hate each other. [​IMG]
    Which rooster should I keep?

2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, they're both lovely!
    Neither of their combs are very good, but at the ABA semi-national, I was astounded at the horrendous combs I saw. One roo only had 3 points!! So evidently, it's not a huge issue. I would go with the better color, because combs are easier to fix.

3. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    They are both really nice,but I would go with rooster #2. [​IMG] I hope it helps.

4. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Been breeding birchen cochins for 10 years and good ones are few and far between. You have a paradox in that one bird has better color and type and the other bird (#2) definitely has a better head. With that being said color and combs can be improved quickly but type takes a long time. Work with the birds that have the best type: round, wide cushion, wide feathers, good strong wing carriage and as you get good typed specimens keep only the ones with the best head appointments and color. Keep in mind that with birchens you will for the most part have to double mate them, meaning that you will have a breeding pen that will produce good males and another pen that will produce good females. Breed males with very little or no breast lacing to good laced or overly lace females to produce good males. Likewise, breed weak laced females to overly laced males with good yellow legs and light undercolor to achieve nicely colored females. In both cases the females out of the first breeding or the males out of the second breeding won't be fit for show due to color but they may be used in the breeding pens to achieve the same results. Hope I have helped.

Bo Garrett

5. chickNjake

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    Quote:Thanks! that was very helpful!
    If it helps here are the hens I have-
    #1- nice color (bad pic)
    [​IMG]

#2-over-laced, her cushion is a little better than it appears in the picture [​IMG]

#3- sparse lacing, awful head, her feet aren't bad, She was over bred by previous owner. Do you think I should breed her or cull? [​IMG]

6. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Quote:Just wondering...how do you fix the comb? Surgery?

7. chickNjake

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    Quote:Just wondering...how do you fix the comb? Surgery?

FrizzleFreak meant "fix" them through selective breeding, I think. As in mate a bird with too many points to one with too few, etc. (actually is that the right way to breed?)

8. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the easiest way is to only breed chickens with good combs [​IMG] Combinations of points would get confusing fast. Of course, type and color come first.

9. chickNjake

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I know! I wish I could get the roosters to breed! [​IMG] then I would have the perfect Birchen! [​IMG]

10. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    If the female with the least amount of coloring was the best I would say use her for sure. She has some serious faults the most obvious of which is crowheadedness.
    I would recommend to improve the type, heads and color to breed the birchen males to very good quality black females then breed those females back to the birchen father and the best of the males with the least amount of breast lacing to the birchen females you have. You will lose color in your females (close to solid black) but with a couple of generations you'll have good birchen color back by doing what I stated above. Blacks mask several different colors thus you may get some true brown red cochin bantams as well from this cross and on rare occasion a columbian. Columbians crossed to blacks will also produce birchens. I have never used the columbian cross but I know cochin breeders who have and got decent colored birchens in the F1 offspring.

Bo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by