Which bird did this egg come from?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cwallace0522, Dec 31, 2013.

1. cwallace0522

cwallace0522 New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    Hello,
    I found my first egg this morning. I included a picture of it. You can't tell from the photo but when you hold it up to a white store bought egg in comparison it is definitely a light cream or off-white. I have a couple polish hens, but I thought their eggs are supposed to be white. I also have a silkie and a guinea. Both of which I know do not lay white eggs. It was in the dirt right outside their coop. I let them out to free range everyday. The guinea roosts in the hen house with the rest of the girls and hangs out with the chickens all day long. My guess is it came from the guinea or the silkie but I have no idea which. I would appreciate any guesses! Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's from your Polish. I would think silkie pullet eggs would be smaller, and guinea eggs are darker.

1 person likes this.
  3. cwallace0522

cwallace0522 New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    Thank you!

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I also think it was your polish. Sometimes mine lay an off white instead of white

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most likely from one of the Polish hens.

1 person likes this.
  6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    I agree, it looks like a pretty little polish egg.
    Silkie eggs tend to be more of a light brown/beige, like so:
    [​IMG]
    And they're not as big as they look in the picture, I have very small hands [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. cwallace0522

cwallace0522 New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    Thank you for your input everyone. I got another egg today! This is very exciting to me as this is the first time I've had fresh eggs since I have moved out on my own.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. cwallace0522

cwallace0522 New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    I just wanted to let you all know that you were right. I watched two of my polish girls lay today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by