Which Black Copper Marans boy would you keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nunlef, Nov 18, 2011.

1. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Hi,
    I have 4 FBCM that are 9 weeks old. It looks like 2 of them are roosters, and I would like to know which guy looks better to keep (in case I want to create more of these guys in the spring). I would never breed for profit, or to sell at all, I would just want to increase my flock size for my family's personal enjoyment. If I'm going to use one of these fellas to make more babies, I would at least like to pick the better looking one [​IMG]

I have a favorite, but I would still like to know what people, who know more than me, think. Both boys have feathering on the legs. Alpha is a little bigger. Nobody is crowing, I don't know if that makes a difference javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

Below is a group shot of all of my chickens - they are all born on Sept 18/19 of this year.
    [​IMG]

This is a little closer shot of the boys together.
    [​IMG]

This last picture is a better detail of Apha. It's very sunny out today, so his pink parts are washed out in this picture.
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much for your help. And yes, we do have 2 chicken that are named princess, we can't tell them apart, so we just decided they were both "pretty as a princess". My daughters are 6 and 4 [​IMG]
    Heather

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Right off hand from the photos you've provided, I would pick Beta because the Alpha guy has way too much coppering in his chest. Alpha may throw more chicks with too much coppering. I would need some better pics of Beta's chest as well to see how much coppering he has though. How much feathering is on Beta's shanks? Do your girls have good shank feathering?
    They both might have comb issues but hard to tell without much more detailed close up photos. I know its hard to get good pics of little ones because they are usually all over the place lol. Congratulations on your babies. It's so much fun when you get your first ones!

3. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    thanks so much for responding so quickly. I have 3 more pictures of beta, he's so shy, i have a hard time getting him alone.

The 2 girls have dense feathering on the outside of their legs, they also both have a copper necklace (sorry, I don't what else to call it). One female has no white showing, but the smaller one does have a white tip on 2 of her "hind" feathers (chicken anatomy was not taught at my high school, i apologize for my ignorance :roll eyes: )

Also, these chickens are great fun. I bought them as a project for my kids, and for the eggs, and maybe a little free pest control. They have proven to be great pets, and I've always been more of a dog person [​IMG] We are planning to try our hand at hatching in the spring, and we are all so excited to get some more babies [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Heather

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by