Which BLRW Roo to Keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissD'uccle, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Hello all! I have two BLRW roos I am trying to decide between. One is a blue one is a splash (thanks for the corrections guys!). I want correct conformation and all for a good breeding program. I have read varying opinions on if to keep blacks or not so feel free to throw your 2 cents in there also [​IMG]

Both were hatched from breeder stock eggs. If they are equally good I can manage to keep both as they are both good boys. Thanks!

ROO #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ROO #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    #2. I think his form is better. He will throw better blue babies.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    From the looks of your pics, you have a blue and a splash, not black and blue. The first one is blue, the second is splash. Which one you keep depends on what color your hens are if you are going to be breeding them. If you have splash hens and keep the splash roo, eventually all of the blue will wash out. You can keep the blue roo if you have blue and splash hens. Blue to splash you get 50% blue/50% splash. Blue to blue you get 50% blue/25%splash/25% black. (I think that is the right order)

Hope that helps.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    oooh the splash (#2) roo!!!

5. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Thanks for setting me straight on the colors [​IMG] I have splash and blue hens. I do love the splash roo, I just think the colors on him are so great, but both are so sweet it was hard to decide!

How are they as far as the breed standard? Are they correct? I am new to wyandottes and am trying to learn as much as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by