Which boy is crowing??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GottaLuvChicks, Nov 17, 2010.

1. GottaLuvChicks

GottaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    So, for the first time since getting the chickens a few months ago, I was woken up by this horrible sounding attempt at crowing by one of the boys. I haven't gone outside yet to see, but I can't figure out which one of the roos (the Maran or the Polish) is attempting to show off!! It sounds so funny, because it's not a "normal" crow, but this sound like someone has a sore throat yelling. It is pretty loud, so I am about 99% sure it is not one of the several small CR roos (only about 5 weeks old). The Maran is about 4-5 months, and the Polish is about 9-10 months now. I guess I should get myself dressed and go find out if this is a "I'm the man" crow or a "I'm a daddy to eggs" crow (we have yet to get eggs from any of the girls). But GOSH it's a funny sound!!

2. GottaLuvChicks

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Ok, it appears that the Polish boy has suddenly grown a crow!! I have been watching out the window now waiting to see who it is (it's cold and I am NOT motivated to go out there yet), and it is most certainly him. I have read/heard that Polish chickens are so quiet - well he is NOT, that is for sure! So after all this time, little Spike has grown into a big man! Now for him to get his girls laying eggs!!

3. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    that 'sore throat' crow just gets fine-tuned with time, and if he sounds loud now...just wait! [​IMG]

4. GottaLuvChicks

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    I just find it interesting that it is the Polish boy and not the Maran. The Maran has yet to make a peep, but then again, he is still trying to establish the fact that he is the "man" in the flock he tends and not some dumb young kid who runs around with the old ladies (his women are about 18 months old, he is 4-5 months). I just thought Polish chickens were the "quiet type" over all. Although the girls do like to "talk" a LOT when you go into their run or if you hold them, just not a loud sound.

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I love those first crows! Just wish they'd stay that way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by