Which brand dry cat food for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sillybirds, Feb 26, 2009.

1. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I thought I'd try giving our chickens a little dry cat food to boost their protein, as they've been eating a lot of grass while free ranging, and since I've been giving them a lot of green veggies. I bought what I thought was a good cat food -- Purina One Natural Blends Salmon and Brown Rice -- but my chickens want nothing to do with it! [​IMG] Is there a brand/variety that you've found chickens prefer? I thought the one I got was good, as it's main ingredient is fish (something about chickens eating chickens that seems wrong). I don't know why they don't like it? Maybe they actually prefer chicken! [​IMG]

2. your_pal_skip

your_pal_skip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Boise
    You know, I think your best bet is to go exactly the opposite of what you'd get to feed a cat. You can check the side of the bag for the protein and fat levels, which should be about the same with every brand. I think it's like 24% protein and 18% fat for most cat food. After that, the rule is that the fancier the cat food, the lower corn and grains are in the ingredients. But with a chicken, you want that corn to be at the top of the list. The protein and fat are going to be at the same levels for all brands, so look at the real cheap ones. Friskies, Alley Cat, 9Lives, and Meow Mix are all probably good bets.

I don't think you can avoid chicken eating chicken with cat food, since basically the entire dry pet food industry exists as a way to sell off the byproducts of industrial chicken and corn farming.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried soaking it in hot water until it softens up? It helps them to get a taste, plus they can break it into smaller pieces that way.

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    CHEAP... i just buy whatever is the cheapest.." special kitty"?? or something like that..
    i buy the KITTEN food becaue it is smaller bites and usually has more fat and protien for growing kitties

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    i might be out of place but i thought that i read on the byc treat chart that a moderator said not to feed chickens cat food. maybe only a small ammount during molting. but check out the treat chart it has all the info. good luck

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yes small amounts during moult..... i also will give it to them when it is really cold.. and once in a great while a hand full as a treat.. because here in the desert there are no BUGS for them to find...
    it is NOT supposed to be part of their normal feeding..

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    can ducks have this also??

8. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Thanks for the responses. So it's not a good idea to feed chickens cat food?? Maybe that's why my girls weren't eating it! [​IMG]

I just want to find something high in protein that I can give them a handful or so a day like scratch, to keep them occupied and to up their overall protein intake. I give them layer feed, of course, but when they're out free ranging a couple hours a day, they seem to just pig out on grass, which isn't that high in protein, is it? They love BOSS, but that's only about the same as layer feed with regards to protein content. I give them meal worms occaisionally, but that's more of a hassle and more expensive.

They're laying pretty good, so maybe I don't need to worry so much.

9. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    try Sunflower hearts, or mix plain Yogurt with some chicken crumbles!

10. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Chop up a boiled egg and give that to your girls for protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by