which breed!!!!!!! Anconas... Or swedishes!!!!!!!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 30, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, so in spring I am getting some hatching eggs, I was real heart set on anconas.... But I think I JUST fell in love with swedish ducks [​IMG] which breed!!!!!! Help me!!!!!!! Huff [​IMG]

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Swedes eat more and are pretty common. Anconas maintain better value because they are more unusual. I'd guesstimate that you could get 2 swedish for every 1 ancona because they are so unique.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have NEVER seen swedish ducks for sale here. I have seen ancona ducks for sale, but never swedish ducks. There is a hatchery like 40 minutes away that sells anconas, but not swedish ducks. Maybe its just my area [​IMG]

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    You might be able to sell swedish more easily locally, just because they are a more well known breed. I see anconas from time to time here too, but not swedish. Sometime's just because a breed is more rare doesn't mean it will be easier to sell. More popular breeds tend to be more popular for a reason, i.e because more people want them.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Thats a good point! And what I was thinking too. And I am now in LOVE with the breed....

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Thats a good point! And what I was thinking too. And I am now in LOVE with the breed....

Guess that's why I keep getting one of each. Next I want a buff, I saw one in person finally awhile ago and she was beautiful. Around here purebreds and mutts seem to sell for about the same price (anywhere between 2-4 dollars a duckling), so I've just been getting one of everything I want, lol. The only ducks I haven't liked so far were my pekins, just because they were so big and LOUD. I sold them ( a pair) at about 3 months old for 25 for them both. Seems like the more common the breed the more chance there is that there is someone close who wants one. Ancona, khaki, rouen, etc all seem to be around the same price, 20-25 a pair.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Yeah, same here. But I dont want to be breeding mutt ducks though. Im now in LOVE with blue sweds.... Great! Looks like im getting a few in spring [​IMG] .....hhhhmmmm.... Now what color? Blues, .....blacks.....BOTH!! Lol!

8. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I guess it must depend where you live. Out here in SW AZ Swedish are right up there behind pekins. Go to any public park (aka the duck dump grounds) and there's tons of them. You never see anconas anywhere. I like my swedish very much, but I did get them for less than 3$ each at my local feed store. We just have them in excess here.
    I'll be able to tell you how they dress out soon! One of my swede females is right nasty to my campbells sometimes and she's on the short list for Christmas dinner.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im truly in love now, lol. But I think I will get ducklings insted of eggs....

10. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    yeah, I've heard it said that if live ducks is your goal go for day old hatchlings every time.
    As I see it hatching eggs are only for really rare or fragile breeds that a small breeder isn't willing to ship live-- or a science project.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by