Which breed/bird should i show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Jan 14, 2010.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I am debating which breed or birds i should show at the next fair. The ones i am interested in showing are.. Partridge cochin, black bantam cochin, FBCMs, and porcelain d'uccle bantams. with the Porcelains and FBCM i will have pairs, can you put them together in one cage or do they have to be seperate? This is my first time showing and any info would be greatly apreciated! (the fair isnt until July but i want to be ready)
    Here are my 5 month old FBCM pair. Do you think they look pretty good for show?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Partridge cohcin hen who is about 1 year old:
    [​IMG]
    Black cochin bantam hen who is about 2-3 years old: (she has a tiny bit of her comb missing, how much of a disqualification is that?)
    [​IMG]
    My Porcelain d'uccle pair who are about 2-3 years old (i will work on their feathered feet if i take them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (i will try and get better pictures later)
    Any information on showing and any thoughts about my birds would be greatly apreciated!

Oh and one breed that i didnt mention was my blacksexlin khen.. do they have a category for sexlinks? I would really like to enter her as she has really come in nicely. She is about 3 years old has a very nice gold chest and is very heavy looking.
    Thanks!

2. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    I think because my Porcelain roo doesnt fit to standard i might just show my cochins and Marans. Does anyone know what judges look for in Partridge Cochins and black cochin bantams?

3. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    [​IMG]i would NOT show the cochins the black look ok but the partridge does fit the ABA standard , i would show the d uccle they look the best . [​IMG] hope this helped !

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Where are you planning to show them (APA show or county fair)? How big is the show?

If you have a county fair that is judged by the ag extension service, that may be your best bet. In all humbleness, those are hatchery-quality birds. If you show them at an APA show, you may get your feelings hurt. Don't let them discourage you if that does happen. The judge is there to give you advice on the quality of your birds and is in no way being mean to your birds. I see it a lot at shows where somebody doesn't win and throws a fit. If you are really serious about showing, you need to invest in some quality birds from private breeders with proven show lines.

5. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Americana-Chick-

You said that you d'uccle male doesn't fit the standard that well but at least he is in the standard. The Black Copper Marans are not a standardized breed in this country. If I had to pick something to show I would show the D'uccle pair. The cochins are not really true to type at all. Hate to be harsh but that is what I would do.

6. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Thank you all for your advise and wisdom. I truly didnt know that you couldnt show marans..? And i thought my d'uccle pair wasnt very good.. lol. But i do have to question one thing, what is not to the APA standards for my partridge cochin?
    The show i would show my birds in is a small town county fair.
    Thanks
    Bri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by