Which Breed [Chicken]????????

ktg 100

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
I'm building a new run for some pure breed chickens but I can't decided
which, I would like something that is pretty and will lay reasonably well. And something
not that common.
Thanks

I looked at them in the Breeds part of this website and I
don't know, It reviews say that they don't handle cold very well and Hate to be confined.
Also it gets a bit wet were I live in the spring/autumn and I wouldn't want the cocks beautiful tail being ruined.
thanks
thumbsup.gif

do you have any more suggestions.

I looked at them in the Breeds part of this website and I
don't know, It reviews say that they don't handle cold very well and Hate to be confined.
Also it gets a bit wet were I live in the spring/autumn and I wouldn't want the cocks beautiful tail being ruined.
do you have any  more suggestions.

True. Although mine does well in confinement ;).

What about a breed of polish?

Sumatras do well in the cold. People have them all through the northern states and in Canada. They also do well free ranging or in confinement. Mine tend to be more of a seasonal layer, they don't lay in the winter.

My polish are normally the last to start laying and the first to quit laying. If its cold they quit, its wet they quit, its hot they quit. Sometimes I do wonder why I keep my polish
lau.gif
. But I love the way they look.

Thanks, all great suggestions I like the idea of polish but is their laying that
bad????? I've always loved the look Wyandotte's, and have already sourced some bantams.
And does anyone have any tips on keeping bantams are they much different to large fowl?

Langshans fit all your criteria, I'd consider them very strongly. They're good layers. Very slow to mature like the other Asiatic birds though. They do just great in the cold, and do ok in the wet and damp too, the region the breed comes from is a damp region. Culls and extras are good eating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom