Which breed do you like better?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Triplecross, May 2, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    New Hampshires or Buff Orpingtons.

I know Buffs are very popular and NH are sorta rare, (some may disagree) but both seem similar in temperament: big & friendly. I want to be able to sell chicks. Which is a better breed people want?
    I like both & can't decide [​IMG]

All you BO & NH owner will chime in with what you like best about them! Thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Bantam wise I prefer New Hamps, but for a standard sized bird I prefer the slow kinda dumb Orpingtons :3 And if your going to go do orps I suggest doing some other colours too like lavender and chocolate :D

3. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Hm, nobody has a preference of one over the other? I thought for sure I'd hear many cheers for Buffs.

Well, I'm leaning towards NH's because they are so big, sweet and I think will make a better table bird that Orpingtons.

4. Coker farms

Coker farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    South Carolina
    I like our buff orps because they are good mothers, are a heritage breed and they are also good layers (did I mention they are sweet and fat!)

5. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    While I have never owned either breed, I would think if your goal is to sell chicks, there is probably a bigger market for buff orps. Not because they are better necessarily, but just more well known and popular.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by