which breed for show???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zcruzer, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Zcruzer

Zcruzer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    hello,

I am getting my first chickens very soon. I have decided to get Buff Orpingtons but wanted a show chicken as well. I want a very VERY unique chicken to do showing with. I have had a very hard time deciding. THEY CAN NOT BE BANTAMS!!!!!!! If i could get some suggestions i would love that. I want one unique, rare, friendly chicken. thanks[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    My suggestion to you is chickens come in many breeds and varieties but when you want a chicken to show you are going to want a fairly common breed or one that you know there's a trusted breeder by you. Show birds must fit the standard description and can't have any disqualifications or defects in order to do well, If you were to get a rare breed you'd have trouble finding from a reliable source and might only find what you're looking for at a hatchery which is a gamble in finding show birds. But that also doesn't mean you have to be with the in crowd and depending where you are you might find the breed, I would look up some shows and make a trip to one. Looking at the various breeds that are there might help make your descision.

Since you are already planning on buying Orphington's you could look into that breed.

3. Zcruzer

Zcruzer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    ok thank you. I think i might even show orpingtons. but i think i will still get a polish just for fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by