Which breed has the kindest Roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ttotoole, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ttotoole

ttotoole Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Ocean Beach San Diego
    I was considering getting a rooster for my hens. The hens are about 1 year old. 3 Barred Rock and 2 EE's. I was hoping to motivate egg laying and just think roosters look cool. I live in a fairly urban environment so I need a fairly quiet roo. Any suggestions on a fairly quiet and mellow roo that won't beat up my hens too much and will love me also. thinking about a cockerel to give me more time to socialize. Thanks.
    Terry

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Fairly quiet roo..[​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry but mine never shut up. There might be some though.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My welsummer roosters have always been reasonably quiet and all have been easy on the hens.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My light brahma is super gentle and relatively quiet as roos go, however the very two worst ones in my coop are a barred rock roo and a cuckoo Maran Roo they crow non stop all through the night, don't know if it is the barred breeds or just my two crazy, guys. They are the roughest with the girls also, but not mean.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have orpingtons and I have one roo in particular who is a sweetheart. I can go across the yard for something and hear something running behind me. I will look and it will be Prince Harry. [​IMG] He is pretty much a loner. He chose to live in a outside dog kennel all last summer. He would go inside at night on his own. come winter I moved him into the main secure coop, which did not make him happy as the big blue roo is very dominant to my two other roos. One is a red roo and of course, Harry. It is so sweet to see him follow me everywhere like a puppy. but it is more his personality than a rule for the breed I would think. I have had the blue roo try to attack me...much to his dismay! [​IMG] He respects me now. Speckled Hen has some awesome roos who seem to be all gentle souls. Check into them.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you are trying to stay on the DL with your birds, I would strongly advise you not to get a rooster at all-mine crow all day AND a lot at night(so glad I live in a rural area).
    I have several breeds of roosters that all have totally different temperments. I have a Silver Lakenvelder rooster that is the sweetest and a White Leghorn rooster that is a demon spawn. You just don't know what you have until they start to mature.
    Just FYI, seems to me that my roosters have all been much sweeter than the pullets UNTIL they start to mature-once that happens, Katy bar the door!
    Please don't think I'm trying to be a buzzkill, I just would hate for you to get a rooster and then get disillusioned when it crows a lot, has your hens screeching or flogs you.
    Roosters ARE beautiful and I enjoy nothing more than watching them all free ranging and protecting my flock.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  7. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have a silkie cockeral that is 9mos and I love him. He gives me no grief and is good with the ladies. (So far)

I have 2 more silkie babies 17wks cockerals and so far so good. Also a 16wk old salmon favorelle cockeral and he is a big baby so far. I kept thse breeds because I was told the roos seem to be gentle and not too agressive. We'll see...I have handled them all a lot and have had them since they have been day olds. They need to know who the real rooster is.

8. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    We have had two different roos in my short chicken experiance time

Smokey--Silkie roo, talked all day long, but was small and cute and would cuddle with people he knew, though he did chase my hubby a couple times, very protective of his girls.

Kelly--Welsummer roo--crows mostly in the AM, but is big and loud when he does, not the best roo around just mainly want to flirt with everything. Runs to the coop instead of protecting his girls

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    For big birds I would say Brahmas, for smaller, probably silkies. (Though there are certainly exceptions to every rule!)

10. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I had a mean Barred rock roo. I did some research and replaced him with a standard cochin roo. He is the sweetest boy in the world. He crows at around 12:00 noon everyday and that's really it for the rest of the day. He is really sweet to his girls and will let us walk right up to him and pick him up. I bought him as a 7 month old from a show breeder (Star Cochins) here in Ga. He was being shown but he broke his toe and therefore couldn't be show anymore. She bathed him and blew him dry all the time. Maybe that helped him become more tame than usual. Maybe you could find a show breeder and buy one of their birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by