which breed is best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Flock Runner, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    in the spring i'm getting a couple more hens but i don't know what breed i want. i know i want 2 or 3 banties and 3 or 4 standards so i was wondering what breeds you all raise and what you think of them and maybe some breeds you think you like but don't have.
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I really wish I still had a polish or two. You can get those in both bantam and standard. I've always wish I'd had some White Faced Black Spanish and some La Fleche too and a silkie and a Naked Neck.

3. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    silkies and d'Uccles are my fave bantams and black stars, sussex, ameraucanas, and easter eggers for LF. I really want orpingtons.

4. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    its kinda funny that i was actually thinking about most of those birds! geuss that they are pretty good. thanx! [​IMG]

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I second the polish! They are hilarious, and very personable. I am a big fan of barred rocks for standards. :)

6. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    I like the New Hampshire Reds , White Leghorns and Silver Dorkings . Good allaround chickens for eggs , chicken on the dinner table , freerange or in pens they are the greatest .

7. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    coolz! i've had a couple of those breeds before too.i have been wondering about a polish to go with my houdan. double afros! [​IMG]

8. Rooster76

Rooster76 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    Indy
    Barred Rocks are my favorite.

9. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I LOVE all my chickens! My RIRs are the sweetest and great layers, My sex-link... is skittish but lays daily, my EE's are GEORGEOUS and lay large blue eggs, and well my mixeed breed bantam is just the cutest silliest little thing!

10. I like the Americana and RIRs for the eggs and meat.
    I want to find out how well Malays of Saipan Jungle Fowl handle free ranging and vermin like snakes. They are so gorgeous, I might like them around just to look at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by