Which breed is best?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sandstorm495, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Hi everyone,
    I would like any feedback from anybody. Which breed would you say is the best breed out of Isa Browns, Wyandottes, Silkies and Bantams?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Best for what? Egg production, friendliness, fastest growing, prettiest eggs?

Also, "Bantams" covers a lot of breeds; it is the size of the breed of bird, such as bantam Orpington, bantam Rhode Island Red, etc.

So what are you looking for?

3. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Wyandottes. Bantams eat little, but they lay tiny eggs, and are too fragile in many circumstances. Silkies too. They are also funny looking. Great brooders, though. I am unfamiliar with Isa Browns.

4. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Well I would be looking at friendliness and egg production. It would be helpful if you could get back to me soon, as to tell me what you would suggest.
    Thanks!

5. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Well, I know that Wyandottes are friendly and docile, but wanted to know if others were ok too. And also, about the Isa browns, I am unsure really ,but it seems like there is a family of chickens with the name "Browns" at the end. Such as Highline Browns and Highland Browns. Thanks for the info as well!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yeah, the hatcheries hadda come up with names for their production mixes. Kinda like Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, etc.

They're developed for high egg production and docility, handle confinement well.

Every Wyandotte vie ever had has been a bossy hen. Not mean, just huffy. I do love them, though.

7. Sandstorm495

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Thanks for the info gryeyes, and hope to see other people thoughts on this thread too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by