Which breed is better? Gold Sex Link or Speckled Sussex?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kellgirl360, Jan 30, 2014.

1. kellgirl360

kellgirl360 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    So I want chickens that are:

Really friendly
    Not super loud
    Good Layers;
    Lay consistently and for a long time
    Can handle being in smaller spaces

Good looking
    Not prone to alot of health problems

I have a hen-house that is 17 square feet inside, and a 50 square foot run.
    The chickens will also be able to free range during most days.

Which breed sounds like it will be the best fit?

Thanks!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

That doesn't narrow the field enough! :D

But, I shall try!

Like snuggle friendly? Or run to you for food friendly?

Too variable... Dunno, except don't get a rooster. :)

How good? Do you care about egg size?

This means if you buy from a hatchery, you should choose a less popular breed, or buy from a small breeder. Remember that super high production usually comes with a greater chance of different problems (egg bound, prolapsed vent, etc.)

This cut out a good number of breeds. No Mediterranean breeds. The dual purpose, fluffy slow ones are also usually better with confinement.

Totally in the eye of the beholder! :lol: Are you for floppy combs, tiny combs, fluffy feet, clean feet?

Same answer as under 'lay for a long time'

Look through here:

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Alaskan

Depending on just how many and what size eggs you want, I would point you towards

- True Ameraucanas from a breeder NOT a hatchery they kay pretty well, and medium.

- Faverolles, if you are getting only one breed. Even from a hatchery, they are the sweetest and most submissive birds! (So other breeds will pick on them) They would do very well even if a bit crowded. They do have feathered feet, so a muddy run will make them very dirty. They lay alright, but not great, and only a medium size.

- Wyandottes a bit more variable with regards to temperament, but you are likely to get some sweet girls who will lay well and a better sized egg than the other two.

1 person likes this.
  4. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. kellgirl360

Nov 11, 2013
    I want chicken that are like a dog friendly. Probably snuggle friendly. I live inside city limits and there are some people in my neighborhood that complain about noise. I want medium to large size eggs, pretty much anything but small. I prefer personality over the egg-laying, but I still want a semi-decent layer. I like the darker colors, and I really have liked the patterns of speckled sussex more than the Gold Sex Link. Do you have experience with Speckled Sussex? I would love to hear about it.

6. kellgirl360

Nov 11, 2013
    Thanks! Your answer is really helpful! The more I look at it, the more I am leaning towards the Speckled Sussex.

7. Alaskan

Yes, I have had Speckled Sussex a couple of times. They were very inquisitive birds, good at finding what part of my run was escapable. :rolleyes:

They were NOT at all interested in being snuggled, but were very happy to dance about your feet for treat time. They were not a super layer, but a very good and very consistent layer of large eggs. They would also last for 4 years with a low risk of problems.

They would be very good for what you want, except for:

- Not snuggly

- Not good for tight confinement. They will need reasonable space, not huge.

8. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    [​IMG]

9. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    I agree with this except I don't know about the "snuggly" part. I haven't made pets out of any of my birds. But I do really like the SS, nice personalities.
    [​IMG]

10. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    You're welcome. Good luck in getting the birds you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by