which breed is ideal????

PoultryLover007

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Hey All!!

I am not super knowledged about duck breeds so here goes.......I would like to raise up some breed of ducks that are docile and are best for being a pet rather than an addition to big flock of ducks for my pond or anything.....I know Pekin ducks make great pets , but was wondering if any other breed of duck would be also good as a pet? I'd be raising them in the house /garage/back yard (they would roam around those areas) and would like to know all of you all's opinion on which would be the best choice?

Just for the sake of curiousity...would mallards be good as pets , or no? Thanks!!

idk about mallards (never had 'em) but I had the sweetest pekin drake for a while and he was amazing. I also am a fan of runners and buffs (they are quite docile, or maybe that is just mine, I only have one of each) and I have heard cayugas make great pets, mine is slightly high strung but again that could just be individual personality. A plus to runners is that they are smallish, part of the small breed category. That is handy for holding and carrying your duck! They are also very comical to watch!
I have never had muscovies, but I hear they are also pleasant. I would definitely look into them.

I've never had muscovies, but a lot of folks swear by them for their sweet, gentle personalities. If I were going to have ducks just for pets, that's what I'd go with. They're quiet (no loud quacking), and the muscovies I've known have definitely been more people-oriented than other ducks.

Pekins make nice pets too, and I've heard Welsh Harlequins are calm too. I raise Runners, and they're funny and sweet and good layers, but they are rather flighty.

Good luck. Ducks are cool.
smile.png

Muscovies or Cayugas. If predators are a problem, Muscovies more the Cayugas. Both are hardy & good gentle breeds. However, the Muscovy is tops in friendless and their ability to survive on their own (except in winter, of course). Plus, they're quiet and they lay TONS of eggs!

Either will do. Ducks will give you eggs, drakes are quieter (at least in non-muscovies). Either one will try to mate with you if they don't have a duck friend, lol--you are planning to get at least two, right? They need each other!

Have fun!

I checked on Ideal and Mcmurray's sites and did not see Muscovy's for sale.....Only pekins/variations of mallards/calls/runners/cayugas, etc.......

And yea, I will get at least 2 and just wondered which sex is the more docile of the two (Drake or Pullet) by nature that is....

Back
Top Bottom