Which breed is the "most broody"?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bassfishrman, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I have 23 laying hens and only one ever wants to "set". Most of them are RIR's and will never set. I would like to have a large breed that will set. What should I get?

I have 16 RIR
    2 Ameraucanas
    5 Black Stars

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Cochin

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

My buff orp was ALWAYS broody during spring and often during the summer

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    cochins, Silkies (silkies are kind of small though..) and buff orpingtons are good setters, But maybe you should look into a oriental game.. Great setters, and mothers (do research on them, Asil would probably be the best..) and are usually about 8 lbs i believe. or 9? if your going to take the chicks away though i say Buff orpingtons

5. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Cochins. justed had one hatch out 7 eggs 3 weeks ago and have another thats been trying to sit for last month and half.

6. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    My banty cochins are almost all broody and have been for over 2wk.s.I let 2 mamas hatch eggs and they are doing a good job so far taking care of the babies.

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I agree with everyone else: Silkies, Buffs, and Cochins are the best. [​IMG]
    (Sweet! I never knew that Cochins were good brooders! [​IMG] That's good because we have one cochin chick and a roo [​IMG]

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Silkies

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Any game breed. Silkies are okay I guess but not that great mothers because they can't see very well. Orpingtons are pretty good too, an orpington is our only broody hen (the only reason none of my game breeds are broody yet is because they're too young). And cochins would probably be the best overall of cochins, orpingtons, and silkies. But I still say that the game breeds are better.

10. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    My game hen goes broody at the drop of a hat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by