Which Breed Lays First?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stella1964, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I'm not sure if I can trust what I read. The information is so conflicting. If anyone has experience with these breeds of chickens, I'd like to hear your stories.

I have 4 chickens, each 16 weeks old now (leghorn, RIR, black sex link, red sex link). I just found an egg this morning on the coop floor, the first one. But I don't know who it belongs to.

We're suspecting it's the red sex link because she's squatting a lot now when we go into the coop. The others don't do this. But the books say the black sex link should start laying at 16 weeks. Not sure what to think.

I know I'll find out in good time, I'm just curious.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What color was the egg?

3. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Very light brown...tan I guess.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It would have come from one of your sex-links. Not sure which one, but it definitely is one of them. The sex-link chickens start laying around 15 to 16 wks old. It sounds like it is probably your red since she's been squatting. Maybe you'll find two eggs tomorrow! [​IMG]

5. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    That would be wonderful! And thanks for confirming what I suspected. I'll watch for my black sex link to lay now also. I presume her eggs will be a bit darker.

I just wish they'd use the egg box!

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    put some eggs or golf balls in it, then perch them on it so they see them, believe it or not, they are quick learners, my first egg was in the box!

7. Stella1964

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Oddly enough, I DO have fake eggs in the box...a white one and a brown one. But they toss them out!

[​IMG]

8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    mine know fake eggs from real ones, so im looking for eggs in the horsefeeders daily!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by