1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which breed makes a better rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jlholm, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jlholm

jlholm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Help! I am getting a rooster for the first time to help protect and alert my girls to predators. Since this is my first experience with having a rooster, I'm wanting to get one with the best chances of being docile with me. I have the opportunity to get either a Barnevelder or Jersey Giant and I've heard good things about both! What are some opinions out there? I will get him as a day old chick and hand raise him.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have a thread that has at least 5 suggested Rooster breeds,you could check it out if ya want.It also is provided with info.

3. jlholm

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Thanks!

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    The thread is called everything you need to know about roosters.

5. jlholm

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Between the jersey giant and the Barnevelder, I have had a lot of people tell me how wonderful the jersey's are as roosters and was leaning that way, just because I thought the size would be bonus. Now, I'm wondering if the size would be a problem with my hens, however. I have an assorted group of hens, with the barred rocks, oprpingtons, and delawares being the largest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by