Which breed makes the best mother?

Apr 27, 2020
So sadly 3 of my chickens have recently gone missing all 3 at once and were unsure of what got them the other 3 are fine but a bit shaken up. We plan on getting more chickens in the future but we don’t want to raise them we want one of our 3 girls to raise them. We have 2 bantams and 1 Brahma left. Both breeds have been very broody before but who will raise them and take care of them the best? Also when is the best time to get them and how do we get the mother to sit on the eggs?

I've never heard of a way to make a chicken go broody and sit on eggs, so I think you'd just have to wait until one of them does?

In my honest opinion and experience of many different breeds and hens hatching eggs themselves, I think the higher up on the pecking order the hen is, the better it all goes. I've had the most luck with cochins being good moms, but our best mom who's raised the best babies very successfully was higher on the pecking order (3rd or 4th highest) cause nobody was 'able' to mess with her or her babies. I've had many low pecking order broodies attacked, and even their chicks attacked before...

What breeds are your bantams, have any of your hens been broody or hatched chicks before?

I've never heard of a way to make a chicken go broody and sit on eggs, so I think you'd just have to wait until one of them does?

In my honest opinion and experience of many different breeds and hens hatching eggs themselves, I think the higher up on the pecking order the hen is, the better it all goes. I've had the most luck with cochins being good moms, but our best mom who's raised the best babies very successfully was higher on the pecking order (3rd or 4th highest) cause nobody was 'able' to mess with her or her babies. I've had many low pecking order broodies attacked, and even their chicks attacked before...

What breeds are your bantams, have any of your hens been broody or hatched chicks before?
They have all been broody before and the highest in the pecking order is my Brahma and I’m not sure on the breed of the bantams.

The only hen I've had sit on eggs was a mix breed, so idk. I am not an expert on any of the breeds you have, but I know that the motherly instinct has been bred out of most chickens. Sometime it just depends on the individual hen's attitude.
Ok the highest on the Peking order is my brama and she is the most broody

Old English Game Bantams are fantastic little mothers and most love to go broody over summer. Mine have raised large breed chicks as well as bantams, and one even raised a duckling for me. They teach their babies very well and mine have never pecked me for inspecting their eggs, nest or chicks. I just love them.

Going broody is a hormonal shift, so a hen either is more inclined to go broody genetically or she's not and some breeds are definitely broodier than others.

Back
Top Bottom