Which breed? Mixed Rhode Island suspected

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Flock Leader, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    My husband obtained a few eggs from someone who told them it's a cross between Rhode Island Red and Leghorn. The eggs were large and cream-colored. Not all of them proved fertile, and of the fertile not all hatched, so we ended up with just one pullet and one cockerel, who are about 3 months old now. They are pretty big, growing much faster than my Israeli chickens.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above: pullet. Below: cockerel. I'm sorry for the quality of the pictures, it was extremely difficult to get decent pictures of them because they kept trying to jump on my arm or my lap!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... is this a Rhode IslandXLeghorn mix? I'm not sure, because when I googled for photos of such cross-breeds, they didn't look like what we have here.

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Def RIR but I can't see any leghorn, some millefleur patterning going on there, speckled Sussex perhaps? I'd imagine one parent was pure and the other may have been a mix so it would be impossible to tell what they are exactly, maybe go back and ask to see the parent birds or show the seller photos of your birds, they are beautiful though!

3. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I thought so too, we have leghorns and I didn't see any resemblance to these young 'uns! I had Speckled Sussex on my mind as well but wasn't sure. But they look like they have the build of good layers, don't they?

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I agree - don't see any leghorn in either of them. While I've never had leghorns, I've had andalusions which have a similar comb size, and my andy roo had a much bigger comb at three months than your little roo does. I see a bunch of speckled sussex in the pullet, the roo looks mostly rhode islandy. You mentioned that they came out of cream-colored eggs... maybe those were sussex eggs?

5. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Yup, I suppose they are Rhode IslandXSussex, then.

Hubby: "perhaps that guy had difficulty in pronouncing 'Sussex'"? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by