Which breed of chicken has best survivability rate in hatchery shipping?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bullitt, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I was curious about this.

Which breed of chicken has the best survivability rate in hatchery shipping? In other words, which breed is hardiest and is least likely to die?

I was thinking that it might be the hybrid crosses, but I don't know.

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i've always found my EE's to do best even with shipping. oriental games, even the hatchery versions (not pure games but with some game blood) are the most fragile and least likely to thrive after shipping.

3. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    That is interesting. Do you have an idea why oriental gamefowl do so poorly?

Are your "Easter Eggers" like Ameraucanas that do not meet the standard, Araucanas that do not meet the standard, or mixed birds that lay colorful eggs?

4. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Does anyone know which breed has the best rate of survival in the hatchery shipping process?

5. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    I've never had a problem with the exception of bantams. Those were in the mail for 4 days.

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I can see how that would be a problem.

Maybe I will have to contact hatcheries to find out the answer to this question.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would assume that with their high popularity and demand, thus they being more adapted to shipping, your better candidates would be Australorps, Sex-Links, Reds, Leghorns, and Barred Rocks.

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    How could they be adapted to shipping?

If the ones that survived shipping were then returned to hatcheries as breeding stock, then I could see how they have adapted to shipping. But I do not think the shipped birds return to the hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by