which breed of chicken is friendly to other chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AnniesFarmFl, Nov 4, 2014.

1. AnniesFarmFl

AnniesFarmFl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    Hello, I have a light brahma rooster and he is very sweet but every time we try to add a new rooster to the flock they attack him and he doesn't defend himself so I was wondering if there is a breed that won't attack him? Besides his own breed.the photo show his blad spot from the rooster attack.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    There's probably a level of how docile a chicken is but the pecking order is always something you'll have to deal with.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How many hens do you have? If you have a small flock it's probably not a good idea to try to bring in another adult rooster when you already have a rooster, that is a guaranteed fight. If you have a large enough flock for two roosters then the best way to integrate a new bird is by keeping them separated by a fence for a few weeks. Even with that however two roosters are going to fight, they may settle their differences and learn to get along or they may not.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not about breed but about gender, and integrating any gender single bird into an existing flock is very difficult.
    Unless you have alot of room and alot of hens 2 roosters are probably not going to coexist.

Why do you want another rooster?

Are you planning on breeding or is it just the eye candy factor?
    Either way, separate coops and runs would be the way to go.

5. AnniesFarmFl

AnniesFarmFl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    Breeding purposes, my rooster love him to bits doesn't mate with all the hens for some reason he only mate's with two and we have in about 8 hens atm we have 16 young pullets about the be put in with him so in total we will have 24 hens, we have other roosters (1 barred rock,1 buff Orpington) we are going to build separate pens for each rooster, but id still like for him to have another rooster he doesn't mind another rooster he had one in there before( a friend's rooster)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool. Having the separate pens will give you much flexibility with your breeding goals and save your hens, and roosters...and you.... from unnecessary stress.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    He's a beautiful rooster, and Brahmas are fairly docile - I love my Brahma hens! I think I'd get another Brahma, younger than he is, so that it grows up with him and they may work out that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by