Which breed of chicken makes the nicest rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itsy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I've tried searching for it - but I guess it's either too vague or too detailed when I type it in. I'm sure this question is answered somewhere. Could anyone make any suggestions or post links?

We have about 17 pullets at the moment. The New Hampshire Red pullet named Oprah turned out to be a roo, now named Opie. Opie began to crow a couple weeks ago. It was a raspy thing that he's now almost perfected. About a week or so before that, he began to mate with the others. It's not a nice looking thing. The hens look like they're being jumped. I suppose he needs practice.

Now, he likes to boss the others around when I'm there. Occasionally he mates with them. When I try to open the tractor door, he comes at me and fluffs up. When I go into the enclosed part of the tractor (their coop area) he gets even bigger and kind of opens his wings. He makes noises and does the rooster shuffle. He has also tried pecking at me.

I have no tolerance for his behavior. I don't want him to eventually hurt anyone. I have been taking his neck/head and pushing him to the ground and holding him there - much like how he would mate a female. I like to make sure his ladies are watching when I do this and that he knows that they are watching. When he got nasty yesterday, I picked him up and carried him under my arm while I watered the other animals, etc. He was obviously dejected. As soon as I pulled him away from his girls, his demeanor changed. I'm going to try to play "boss" for the next couple weeks to see what happens.

If there is no improvement - he will be eaten. Period.

So back to my original question: What breed of chicken makes the nicest rooster? I would like to have a roo around.

2. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    I have a Polish and got a Polish because I read somewhere here that they were good. My first Polish roo was an accident. He was suppose to be pullet, but they do make mistakes. He was SOOOO good with my girls though I had to get a new one when he died suddenly at 30 weeks. I do not breed my chickens, he is there for security.

My current roo is Rod, he is a silver laced Polish. He is great. He even closes the pop door (it is hinged on the side) when he comes in. When I am out in the run and I peek in at night - he is the first thing I see.

WRT how he behaves towards me - from the time he was 6 weeks old I held him all the time. When he went through his teens I held him, especially when he tried to show his superiority. I just held him and looked him in the eye. He leaves me alone now. He is NEVER an issue. He knows I am in charge.

I never wanted a roo. My first was an accident, but I am glad I got him, because I never would have known how good having one could be.

I think the important thing is to establish who is in charge at an early age.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for such a detailed response. I'd be cool with a Polish, but I heard that the other birds might peck at it's head if it were the only crested one?

We've tried handling him quite a bit. These were our first batch of chickens, so they were picked up a lot. It's like the first child!....all the toys...all the photographs...[​IMG]

4. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I have had a couple of accidental roos. My first, Walter, was a RIR and a perfect gentleman. My second, Harry, was a silkie. Now Harry was a different story, I think he had "little man" issues. I did the same "guess who's boss" things that you are doing but what finally ended up calming him in the end was when I made a harness and put him on a leash. It wasn't long before he got it and as long as he's wearing the harness, leash or not, he's a good boy. If anyone had ever told me I'd have a leash trained chicken I would have said they were nuts!

5. Imalearning

Imalearning Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    timmins ontario canada
    From my little bit of experience the polish and the silkies are very good, and i love how the silkie's will sit on mostly anything....

6. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    My best roos are mutts - one is an easter egger that is just a few fries short of a happy meal - but he thinks hes alpha. he's got a crooked beak - so he loves to eat out of our hands - even my 4 year old

then the other looks like a butterscotch colored huge bird - think he has some jersey giant in him - sweet lil thing

so maybe just wait and see what happens when you get babies lol

7. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    mutts are always the best. [​IMG]

8. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! I guess it's an individual thing.

I may try the harness....... [​IMG]

9. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    It totally worked [​IMG] Strange but true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by