Which breed of duck do you think is better?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, May 11, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, so I am going to get either , Anconas, or welsh harlequins. Which are more sociably, great egg layers, excellent mothers, not too skittish? I am looking for some more interesting looking ducks that my White Pekins :p I mean, yes I do love them, but I want to add some color to the group. ( Other than my black swedish whom I would love to get many more of but are hard to come upon around here [​IMG] and my buff duck ) I also have 6 khakis, but I want some that will be a real eye catcher. You guys know what im saying.. Plus My boyfriend tells me I have "Duck-Itis" which may be true heheehhe. I want a very colorful, and varied flock. So what do you guys think ?

2. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    I've had both BDA (before dog attack) - will get them again. Love them! The Anconas were real personable and unique - the spots vary but are distinct. The Welsh Harlequin look a little more alike - beautiful males like a spruced up mallard. Seems the Harlequins were a little quieter - the Anconas were the boistrous kids of the playground, while the others kind of tagged along. The Anconas are bigger, but really cool ducks. It makes up for how messy they can be to raise. :-D

3. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Well, Anconas sound pretty awesome [​IMG] I like the ones that are a little more adventurous, my ducks I have now wont even go half way across the yard , unless I have the hose running for them to play in, Maybe they will make my guys think, hey maybe this place isnt so scary! Haha, theyve lived here their whole life and have been running loose for 2 weeks now, and they are still to scared to go ten feet from their pen. Silly ducks, maybe they need to Tough ducks to show them how its done hahaa. I dont want babies though, I am hoping to get some adults, my pekins and black swedish and buff are all adult sized. But I want some eggs, and after so much work of having to have babies and adults, I think I am going to stick with the Adults until next spring [​IMG]

4. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    and it will be nice to have ducks I can tell apart. I fell bad not naming any of them but the black swed. and the buff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by