1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Breed of Rabbit? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Duckchick2011, Dec 22, 2012.

Which would you Choose? (explain)

Poll closed Dec 29, 2012.
  1. Standard/Mini Rex

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Holland/mini Lop

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Lion head/Dwarf

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Hey guys,

Me and my family are thinking of getting into a new breed of rabbit. Our first bunnies were all NZ's or NZ crosses and one chinchilla bunny, and are mostly for meat purposes, now we want to get into something a little different.

Mostly we want a breed that is cute, even tempered, and will sell well as pets but we also want something that will double well as a meat rabbit if the need arise.

I have three choices that I am considering but I am open to others. [​IMG]

Thanks guys!

2. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Why did 2 people say to breed the lionhead? Lionheads are dwarfs, they don't have much meat, they would not double as a meat rabbit.
    The only rabbit on your list that could double as a meat rabbit is a rex.

3. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Sorry I wasn't a little more clear. The rabbit breed doesn't have to be able to double as a meat breed it would just be nice if it could. I already knew a little dwarf couldn't be a meat rabbit, besides it and the Holland lop would be too small and too cute to eat. The rex's are high on my families list just for that reason, they are awesome, but we are still considering the smaller cuter breeds because they have their pluses too. :)

4. PoultryPower

Mar 16, 2012
    I am talking to a lady right now about getting some Mini Rex for myself. The Lionheads are super cute though. I'm not sure how much personality they have compared to Mini Rex, though. My latest lionhead kit, that I'm keeping from my last litter, is the sweetest most friendly rabbit I have ever met.

5. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My 2nd rabbit ever was a Checkered Giant... she was the best rabbit ever. Very calm, they're big (good for meat, even though I would never eat my rabbits) and she was just so wonderful. I love their markings. She had a litter of 11... (w/ an American Chinchilla), and was a good mother. Sadly 3 days after her kits were born she died... then the dogs found the kits while we brought them inside... but I have her only surviviing girl baby :) she is perfect like her Momma.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The first two pictures are of Charlette ( the Momma) and the 3rd picture is of her 3 surviving babies.

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    We are on the fence between Rex's and holland lops, we have people who are selling both around here...in fact it looks like a lot of people own these breeds. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Haha. But I agree, the lion heads are the sweetest little things ever. :3

Awwww, that first pic is beautiful, I love it!!! [​IMG] The only breeder around here that sells checkered giants sold me a pedigreed rhinelander and never gave the papers even though I payed extra for them. :/

7. PoultryPower

Mar 16, 2012
    If you are planning to breed and sell then having a lot of breeders in your area is not a good thing.

If you still have that breeder's contact information I would ask for the papers or a refund, even if you don't really care, that is unacceptable to me.

8. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I called her several times, each time she assured me she was going to mail the papers. I finally got tired of waiting (I waited 2 months) and drove up their to get them myself, I called and talked to her and told her I was coming. I wasted a lot of gas money driving up their and she was gone, even waited and she never showed. The doe she sold me ending up having really bad aggression issues, she would attack any buck I put her with and would leap aggressively at me even after being at my house for 2 months. I wanted to give her more time but my dad didn't see the point in keeping an animal that would not be breed and lunged at it's handlers. After failing to re-home the critter I did the best thing I knew to do and sent her to freezer camp. That was a very expensive and very disheartening experience. I never bought the rabbit to eat, I intended for her to live a nice long comfy life as a brood doe. [​IMG]

I never want to go through that again, but it taught me a valuable lesson. No more getting papers "mailed" to me and no more buying an animal without knowing it's real personality. To be honest I would rather have bunnies with sweet personalities and are meant to be pets because I'm just not very good at the whole raising meat thing. I love my critters too much. [​IMG]

9. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Yeah. =/.

But I had a Holland Lop, Cuddles. I got her when she was like... 7 months? So she wasn't a baby. She wasn't the friendliest thing... but she was an indoor rabbit. She was litter trained, but pooped all over the house! But they're very cute :). And I love their lop ears!
    [​IMG]

10. PoultryPower

Mar 16, 2012
    UGH!! All this talk of Holland Lops is making me want some!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by