which breed of rooster for the hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicky Chick, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Chicky Chick

Chicky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Lets say you have some hens and they are all a different breeds, would it matter what breed of rooster you would get? If so would it matter the breeds of hens to decide the breed of rooster to get?[​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Depends, what do you want from your chickens?

If you plan on selling chicks purebred command higher prices.

Look up Sex-links, see if all of your hens are one type (gold or silver) then you can get a roo that covers then so that the hatched chicks will be of known sex.

If you want specific traits in your flock get a rooster that has those traits (of that breed that has those traits) to give offspring with those traits, ehatever ones you want broodiness, non-broodiness, docile, etc.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Many of us have mixed backyard flocks. Personally I have br, glw, red and ee hens who will all be covered by a bsl rooster this year. My only goal is egg production, and eye candy. Temperment is my main concern with a roo, and this roo has never once challenged me or even looked sideways at me. In my mind, that makes him a keeper no matter the breed.

4. Chicky Chick

Chicky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Thanks for the tips! I just want them for eggs mostly though. You have been a big help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by