Which breed of rooster is the more docile: Silver Laced Wyandotte or Lavender Orpington

So far my Columbian Wyandotte rooster has been very nice to both humans and my hens. Come spring will be a full year I have had him, so I know there's not much to say as his behavior can still change (or so I have read).

My silver laced Wyandotte rooster was very considerate and friendly all the while watchful and protective of his flock.

At almost 4 weeks old he already herded his siblings up the ramp and back into the coop in the evenings, called them to the food and waterer and watched over them.

One of the best roosters I owned.

I think it depends on where you get your Wyandotte. Good quality Wyandottes are more docile because they're not just bred to make money. Serious breeders don't keep mean roosters around. All of my hatchery quality Wyandottes have been aggressive, while my breeding quality Wyandottes are very docile and get along great with the other birds. I would go with the Orpington since the majority (even hatchery quality) tend to be friendly.
Get your rooster from a breeder though! Don't get one from a feed store or from Craigslist.

Any Orpington rooster is friendly. Rarely ever, there's a mean one.

Oh dear, I have to be an exception here. I got three straight run Buff Orps from TSC last spring that turned out to be all boys. I had to cull two of them at four months when they became unholy terrors to me and the three pullets. It got so bad, the girls wouldn't leave the coop. One of them bit me, hard, clamping down and twisting his beak. It left a nice bruise.

The third one is good to the girls. I have had to have a few "discussions" about me being the boss though. I plan to keep him, but he isn't the sweetheart that people say Orps are. Maybe he'll grow a little sweeter with age. He's still a cockerel.

Oh dear, I have to be an exception here. I got three straight run Buff Orps from TSC last spring that turned out to be all boys. I had to cull two of them at four months when they became unholy terrors to me and the three pullets. It got so bad, the girls wouldn't leave the coop. One of them bit me, hard, clamping down and twisting his beak. It left a nice bruise.

The third one is good to the girls. I have had to have a few "discussions" about me being the boss though. I plan to keep him, but he isn't the sweetheart that people say Orps are. Maybe he'll grow a little sweeter with age. He's still a cockerel.
Mine had a butt head stage when his hormones kicked in at about 6 months. He mellowed out, & loved the attention at a year old.

I had three buff O roosters and one lavender O rooster. Only one of the Buff O boys was a sweetheart. The other two BO's were onery as they could be and would fly feet first at your face if you bent over around them. The Lavender O tried to rush me until he encountered the side of my foot one day and said hello to the fence. After that he stayed clear of me which is the behavior I expect from a rooster with an attitude.

They don't have to like me. But they have to respect me.

I agree 100% that a lot of it is in the genetics.

Back
Top Bottom