1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which breed rooster would you choose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sarahandbray, Aug 28, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    I have 44 Straight Run, 9 day old baby chicks at the moment. Already, to the totally untrained eye (just a lot of BYC reading!), I can already tell some that are Roos. I'm going to wait until I'm absolutely sure, but thought I would ask which breed rooster you would keep for breeding purposes.
    Goal would be good laying, multi-colored egg basket of good size. Mutts from here on out would be fine. Would like to try keeping TWO Roos.
    Here are the breeds I think I have Roos for:
    Lavender Orpington
    Black Copper Maran
    Olive Egger
    Welsummer
    Easter Egger
    Ameracuana
    White Leghorn
    Barred Rocks
    Dixie Rainbow/Pioneer

Would like to keep two different Roos. Which ones would you pick? (Assuming they get along and have decent personalities, healthy,etc.)
    These are hatchery birds from McMurray and main purpose will be egg-laying.

Sarah

2. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    (Actually, the Lavender Orp, Black Copper Maran, Welsummer, Olive Egger, & Ameracuana are from ChickenScratchPoultry, which I thought was a "breeder" but isn't. Not sure if that makes a difference)

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

For colors, I'd consider the BCM or Welsummer for a nice rich brown, and the Ameraucana or EE to possibly get some blue genes in the mixes.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would keep the lavender Orpington rooster. The last thing you want is an aggressive rooster & Orpingtons are typically among the calmest & most gentle roosters. Also, I wouldn't keep a second rooster unless you have at least 20 hens. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be very hard on hens physically; over-breeding them, pecking them & plucking feathers from their necks & backs, and battering them. Not only can this abuse by excessive roosters cause a reduction in the hen's lay rate, but they can even suffer serious injuries.

5. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    I was hoping that out of the 44 chicks, statistically we would have 22 hens...thus allowing us to comfortably have an alpha and beta rooster? Is that being naive? Would love to hatch our own eggs for family and friends. :)
    Sarah

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

One thought would be to see how the genders develop, and then choose roo's from something different than most pullets are. That way you would have a broader genome in the offspring that ensues, since you wouldn't be mating brother to sister (I'm assuming that same breeds might be siblings).

7. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    My favorite Roo.. Brave a 2 week old BR Roo[​IMG] The Lavender Orphington is the second I would keep or the EE.

8. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Good idea! I hasn't thought about the incestuousness of that--eeww!
    I'm sure it will depend on which Roos I can tolerate--and which ones the girls tolerate!
    Right now, I put 14 suspected Roos together in my secondary brooder--they keep fluttering and chest bumpin each other--at 9 days old! Yikes!
    From what I've read, they challenge each other early on and then kind of know their pecking order?

Sarah

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X 2 Welsummer or black Copper marans and the second an Easter Egger or Ameraucana. That way you have a rooster carrying the blue egg gene and one for darker eggs. Depending on how you match them up with your hens you can get the most colorful egg basket, blues, greens, olives, dark brown....lots of possibilities.

10. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks!! A colorful and prolific egg basket is the goal! Whites, browns, dark browns, greens, blues, speckled, pinkish...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by