Which breed(s) should I get?

Katieliz

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Hello. I am brand new to this forum. My husband built me a beautiful coop and I'm ready to begin. I want to get 6 chicks that are about 1-3 weeks old and here's the selection from a local breeder:

Barred Plymouth RocksGolden SexlinksEaster EggersBuff OrpingtonsBlack AustralorpsBlack SexlinksRhode Island RedsWhite LeghornsWhite Plymouth RocksWyandottesNew Hampshire RedsCochins
Which to you recommend for a novice? I hope to have them in the coop with a brooder lamp. The area is enclosed and we live in a mild climate (Central Coastal CA). I know they need to stay quite warm at first.

What would be your pick? Should I get all the same or mix it up?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to BYC! I have about 15 different breeds in my flock and I couldn't pick just one to have. I have several breeds I like enough to have considered to start a breeding program with, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. That being said, I don't have one absolute favorite breed so I suggest mixing. That way you get a nice variety. Most of your sex-links will shoot eggs out. That's what they're bred for, so if you really want eggs the BSL and the GSL are good options. My favorites from this list are probably Australorps, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Cochins. Any of those generally have really nice, easy going, and gentle personalities, namely the Orps and the Cochins. Great beginner birds. I also like Plymouth Rocks as well (Partridge and Barred being my favorites) but they can tend to be a little bossy. Best of luck on picking your birds!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I have about 15 different breeds in my flock and I couldn't pick just one to have. I have several breeds I like enough to have considered to start a breeding program with, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. That being said, I don't have one absolute favorite breed so I suggest mixing. That way you get a nice variety. Most of your sex-links will shoot eggs out. That's what they're bred for, so if you really want eggs the BSL and the GSL are good options. My favorites from this list are probably Australorps, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Cochins. Any of those generally have really nice, easy going, and gentle personalities, namely the Orps and the Cochins. Great beginner birds. I also like Plymouth Rocks as well (Partridge and Barred being my favorites) but they can tend to be a little bossy. Best of luck on picking your birds!

I totally agree with everything @LRH97 said!

Orpingtons are one of my favourites. They are dual purpose birds, very nice and friendly birds and not mean and they come in many arrays of color for you to choose from like lavender, lemon, black,white,chocolate. Easter eggers are also nice as they give some nice coloured eggs like blue,green,pink or brown. You would like to have chickens that have the same temperament so some dont get picked on by the more aggressive one. I dont have experience with Rhode Islands Reds but i have heard they are a bit more mean but if you have a lot of space for them to run away if necessary they will be fine as well they are known to be good production in eggs. Leghorns are good egg layers and lay white eggs, Australorps and Wyandottes are pretty and nice birds to add to the flock and is as well calm and docile.
I dont have any experience in owning any other birds on the list so I wont talk about them because I dont want to give you false information
tongue.png
but I just hope this gives you more of an insight on what you would want to pick for your new flock!

Thank you for your recommendations. I want to start with six so I think I will get three varieties, with two each. I made an inquiry to Dare 2 Dream Farms here in CA. They deliver, but I'd like to go down there and pick them out myself :)

I'll keep you posted. I've had birds before but never chickens so I'm very excited!

Thank you for your recommendations. I want to start with six so I think I will get three varieties, with two each. I made an inquiry to Dare 2 Dream Farms here in CA. They deliver, but I'd like to go down there and pick them out myself :)

I'll keep you posted. I've had birds before but never chickens so I'm very excited!
Sounds like you're well on your way! Good luck and let us know what you picked!

Back
Top Bottom