Which breed should i get? BO or EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by runkickshoot, Aug 3, 2014.

1. runkickshoot

runkickshoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I am looking for a chicken that can handle heat, stay warm in winter, is friendly around kids, doesn't eat too much or could be broody. Both those breeds are one of my favorites but I am hoping you guys could debate on which one should I get.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Either, really. In the end, it's a matter of the individual chicken's personality. I don't believe EE's are supposed to be very brood -- but mostof my broodies have been
    EE's.

If it matters to you at all, EE is not actually a breed, it is a mix or mutt, whereas BO is a breed.

3. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    They both handle heat well, i would get a mix of both to have a verity of beautiful chickens in your yard. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG]
    BO's from a breeder. That way if you ever decide to show them, you can,
    Best,
    Karen

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some of each [​IMG]

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - - we have both in our current flock. I have the EE for a little color in my egg basket and the BO for all the characteristics you've listed above that you are looking for in a bird.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Based on your criteria, I would suggest the Buff Orpington. Mine have been friendlier than our Easter Eggers and they are definitely more broody. Although, if you have kids, they might prefer the Easter Eggers for the colored eggs. My granddaughter has made lap pets of our Buff Orpingtons, but she still says the EEs are here favorite chickens because she likes the colored eggs. Whichever you decide to go with, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by