Which breed should I get from these four breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mccluckers, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi there I am getting three new chickens

I want all different breeds from the following which would you guys recommend?

Standard:buff columbian brahma
    Lavender araucana
    Polish

Bantam:pekin
    Gold brahma
    Wyandotte

Thanks in advance:D:idunno

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Songster

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    What breeds do you currently have? Are you getting these for layers or pets? or combination? (what is more important to you-friendly or better layers?)

1 person likes this.
  3. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    I currently have have 1 araucana roo

1 white leghorn cross blue andulucian

1 silver sussex

1 light susse bantam

1 welsummer bantam

Combination but would like to be friendly and lays about 3-4 eggs a week forgot to add salmon faverolle to both lists

Thanks for the reply!

4. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Songster

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    One other question-do you live where you have extreme heat or cold?

My thoughts:

I have had about 15 different breeds...for me, friendliness is most important followed by good layers....and that can handle midwest temps.

I have had 3 Wyandottes-2 from hatcheries (GL & SL) that are very standoffish and one from a breeder who is the sweetest thing (BLR).

I am SO glad you added Faverolles LOL as I am recently obsessed with these!! Quirky friendly sweet docile...but be careful of adding to a mixed flock as they can get picked on-especially by your leghorn.

I have had a LT Brahma-loved her to death and was honestly one of the cutest chicks ever. However, when she reached maturity she really didn't want to be handled much.

My Easter Eggers have been fantastic layers and the friendliest breed out of them all. Since these are from Americuanas-I would imagine the same type of personality?

I have one Polish mix who is adorable and doesnt mind being held (one of my oldest and favorites in my flock) againt hese can get picked on as they can't see real well when they get their froo.

To add to your list: I would highly recommend Orpingtons or Cochins for sweetness/friendliness. :-D

5. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chirping

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    No I don't live in extreme hot or cold

I think I an definately going to get a faverolle bantam or standard?

Thanks for all the info

6. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you want a bantam Fav you will have to locate a breeder. No hatchery has them.

7. sssharon

sssharon Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    Well for me I wish my chickens were friendlier. I have a brown leghorn that is a big meany and she is turning every other chicken into cowards and they won't come near me hardly except when they are hungry.

8. sssharon

sssharon Chirping

Apr 30, 2014
    I am so tired of my Leghorns, at least one of them anymore. I just got a Buff orpington and a Barred rock and they have been scared enough that the Buff hides and the BR is starting to hide too. I'm sorry I ever got the Leghorns. The only thing I can say good about them is that they are very good layers. I would love to have friendly chickens but the leghorns are making them so scared that they don't even mingle. Seems like there's a bad one in each of my 3 groups and they actually all pick on the new ones. I wanted variety but that doesn't seem to work in my case..Anyone got any suggestions?

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    As Angiebubs said, it depends on what you want the chickens for. If you wanting a docile, friendly, gentle breed, the Brahmas and Pekin bantams would be the best on your list. If you're wanting colored eggs, the Araucana (actually you would be better off with Easter Eggers) would be the best on your list. If your wanting beauty, that would strictly depend on your personal preference. If your wanting excellent egg production, I wouldn't recommend any of these (although the Wyandotte and Easter Eggers are pretty good layers).

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    My suggestion is to get rid of the Leghorns and get some docile breeds that are also excellent layers, such as Black Sex Links or Australorps. Your problems with your Leghorns is exactly the reason I quite raising Leghorns many years ago. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by